English help. "There is" or "there are"?

"There's a lot of doubts" or "there're a lot of doubts"?

Why do I sometimes see "there's" being used with plural nouns?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"There're" isn't a real contraction. You must say "there are" in this case

Only "There is" can become "There's".

Anyway the reason you see "there's" used with plural nouns is because people often don't think about it too much and make a mistake. It might be because "ther're" isn't a real word that people use "there's" for both singular and plural without thinking.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

i would say there are cause you are talking about plural things

• 10 months ago

'There's' is a contraction for 'there is,' not 'there are.' If your sentence requires 'there is,' you can use 'there's.' EX: There is too much noise coming from that room. (There's too much noise coming from that room). Remember that standard English is always correct; contractions are just the lazy approach to writing a subject and the complete verb. You will never be wrong to write 'There is...'

'There are' should be written with complete subject-verb agreement. EX: 'There are many movies I want to see this year.' If you used 'There's' in this sentence, your sentence, without the contraction, would read 'There is many movies...' and this is incorrect.

• Betty
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

If referring to a single item you use there is.....if it is multiple items,then it would be there are.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

It will depend on the object you are focusing for. If it is singular then it will be okay with "there is", else if the objects are plural, then go with "There are".

• 10 months ago

there are is rule correct,

your first example is a super common error,they go together like mice & baseboards

• 10 months ago

Very often people say 'There's' when they should say 'There are' simply because it's easier to say. The two 'r' sounds in 'there' and 'are' so close together can be difficult to pronounce in a hurry.

• John P
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

"There are many doubts" is a good plural version, in which there can be no doubt about "is" or "are". You can argue than in "There's a lot of doubts" the object of "there is" is "a lot" - singular. But many native speakers in Britain would say (incorrectly!) "There are a lot of doubts".

• 10 months ago

There're is NOT a correct term. You would only use THERE ARE.

• 10 months ago

"There's a lot of doubt." OR "There're lots of doubts." Illiteracy explains all the misuses.

• 10 months ago

"Lot" is singular. There are many doubts. There are loads of doubts. There is a lot of doubt.

• M.
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

In USA English, I feel that "lot" is singular. A lot of trouble.

But in British English, I feel that "lot" is plural. The lot of you.

I try to be tuned to English and understand some main differences.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.