I have high-functioning-autism and i can socialize well and i do make eye contact, are all autistics like this?

No. All people within the autism spectrum are individuals and their characteristics can vary quite a bit. Many people on the autism spectrum find they have to make quite a lot of effort to socialise well in comparison to those who seem to do so naturally. You may have acquired the skills necessary for good socialization and quite possibly have a mild form of autism, otherwise known as high functioning autism, or even aspergers syndrome. Others on the spectrum have found socialisation very difficult, especially with making eye contact. Many on the autism spectrum find they also have other disabilities as well such as ADD or ADHD. The main thing to remember is that all are individuals and have unique abilities as much as any others in the community. Most will not recognise you have a disability at all, so you don't have to tell everyone this if you don't want to. Sometimes that is better as most seem ignorant as to what autism means and make ridiculous assumptions.

If you socialize and make eye contact (without forcing yourself to do it), then you don't

have autism. You have high-functioning-something-else. Maybe Asperger's.

Then you weren't properly diagnosed if you can truly socialize well. If you have high functioning autism then by definition you have to have impairment in the ability to socialize.

• Nathan

No. I have high functioning autism too - but I only make eye contact with one person (my maths teacher) occasionally as he's the only person I trust. Social interaction is extremely difficult but I have been going to lessons to improve in my SEN school which has helped a lot. It has also helped me understand emotions as before I wouldn't even be able to tell if I was sad or happy. It is all down to the individual - and it can change with guideance and time.

You are a highly functioning retard

• Jedi Jan

You are an ignorant and very immature person.

Hmm, Well there is the saying that if you've met one person with autism then you've met one person with autism. Yeah, I have high-functioning autism. Yeah, I can socialize well, but I usually just don't feel like it. I do make proper eye contact according to the psychologist that diagnosed me.

I guess your answer is: NO, but some autistic people do socialize well (for a brief period of time) and not all of us have problems with eye contact.