jack
jack asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 year ago

How do I make a perfect normal pizza like a professional cook ?

I’ve made homemade pizza like 4 or 5 times and each time the crust ends up being doughy with very few air pockets even though it has yeast in it and the inside taste and looks like a frozen pillsbury biscuit instead of a crisp crust that’s aerated inside like a professional pizzeria or fast food pizza restaurant has with their pizzas. I think it’s because I don’t knead the dough longer, I’m unable to correctly stretch it out symmetrically or even and because I don’t let the dough rise correctly and maybe it’s because of bad recipes online. Also I have trouble putting toppings on evenly.

And I want to make a pan pizza soon. Also what’s the difference in quality between a pizza pan and pizza stone

• 1 year ago

I am lazy regarding pizza dough but very happy with the pre-made refrigerated (not frozen) pizza dough with the biscuit in tubes" in the market. You can get thin crust or deep dish dough and it is excellent. A pizza stone helps a pizza cook properly regardless if you use a pizza pan or not.

• Why do you want your home made pizzas to conform to someone else's standards? Just enjoy the unique texture of the ones you make yourself.

1 year ago

You can't without a pizza oven. Home ovens are simply not hot enough. I use 1.5c warm water, 3 c bread flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp active dry yeast, 2 tbsp oil. You can add garlic powder and oregano or other powered spices to the flour. I knead it 10 mins, proof it 90 mins, then do a second proof after I've shaped it. You can use a rolling pin.

Pan pizzas are easier to do at home. Use a 9" cake pan, add 3 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add your dough round, let it proof covered & warm a second time, then add your toppings and bake it ~25 mins 425F on the bottom rack. The oil will "fry" the crust golden brown and the cake pan gives you even heating. Let it rest 5 mins and it should pop right out of the cake pan by fitting a spatula under the bottom.

• CB
    1 year ago

If you have a kitchenaide mixer - do the following for 2 - 16 inch thin pizzas

1.5 cups water between 100-105F dissolve 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp of instant yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until foamy.

Place the yeast in the mixing bowl. turn on the mixer and start adding flour until it starts to get thick add 1tsp salt and keep adding flout mixing in until incorporated and it no longer sticks to the bottom of the bowl (not even a little) Once that has been achieved mix on medium speed for 4 minutes.

Put the dough in a greased bowl cover with plastic wrap place in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from fridge at least 2 hours before using. Split into to two balls of dough and knead a few minutes with flour and set aside covered for at least 1/2 hour to rest. Form into pizza dough top and cook in a fully preheated over on a pizza screen or stone at 500F rotating the pies top to bottom and a slight turn about every 4 minutes until done.

1 year ago

What temperature do you cook your pizza at? It can be hard for regular home ovens to get hot enough. I use my grill and heat it to around 600 degrees. I stretch the dough and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then put it on the 600 degree grill for two minutes. Then I take it off the grill, flip it and add toppings, then put it back on the grill for 2-3 minutes.

• Do you slightly cook the dough before you put on the toppings? It is worth a try. It might come out less doughy that way.

Or -- You could try using a pre-made pizza dough, such as Boboli.

1 year ago

Pizza restaurants age the dough 24-48 hours in special coolers, in-between refrigerated and room temperature.