graci asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 4 months ago

can a 15 year old girl go to london alone?

i planned a trip to meet my boyfriend who lives there and told my parents i’m just going with friends but they’re making it seem like a really big thing even though i have been many times before and it’s only around an hour away from me, and i’m very familiar with london and know how to work the tube as such, but i am travelling alone and have never done that before (my parents don’t know), will i be okay as i know exactly what i’m doing or are the scary things my parents are trying to tell me true such as i’m going to get “mugged” or like groomed or somthing.

No wait until you’re an adult

• Orla C

Do NOT go and meet someone you have never met before. You don't know what he really his. He could be a pimp for all you know, and a sex trafficker. Many, many young people have been caught this way, dragged into that world, simply because they were daft enough to trust someone they didn't really know.

If you really do want to go and meet him, go with friends you know and trust and who can help you if he turns out to be dangerous. Even better, go with your Dad and brothers, and meet him in a public place with them around, you don't have to let him know they are there, but have the reassurance of knowing that they will be there to help you if you need it.

Don't be stupid. Your family are absolutely correct in telling you this.

It's not travelling alone, but who you are going to meet.

Do you know the person you are going to meet. If not, DON'T do!!!!

• Huh?

Travelling to London on your own should be ok if it's during the day.

However, it's this so-called boyfriend you need to be wary of. If he's someone you've met online and you don't already know him, DON'T meet him anywhere isolated or away from other people. INSIST on meeting him in a cafe or McD's or somewhere there will be other people around. DON'T let him talk you into going somewhere isolated, such as his parent's or pal's flat. And MAKE SURE someone else knows where you're going. If you won't tell your parents, tell several friends.

I was around 15/16 when I first travelled around to London alone, getting a taste of what the city is like without my parents around all the time. I’d say that you’re going to be safe unless you don’t talk to strangers and do what you have to do and just come home - if you’re a tourist, I would just stick to the touristy places and not wander of far.

London is a very safe city, despite all of the violence that happen here and there like any other large cities

Not if you have any common sense.

It's the boyfriend who's the problem. Is this someone you know- someone you went to school with, someone who lives with his parents? If this is a guy you met on line, BE VERY CAREFUL! This could easily be a 50 year old pervert lying to you. I know a couple of girls who met guys online, thought they were in love, snuck off to meet the guy and ended up pregnant, while the guy disappeared because he hadn't given his real name anyway.

• graci4 months agoReport

no i have met my boyfriend before many time

• Clive

There is no legal reason why not. As you said, you've done it before. Parents just get concerned. Of course all these things COULD happen to anyone anywhere but if you know how to stay safe and keep out of unsafe areas, you should be fine. After all, millions of people live in London and most never have any trouble.

You are too young to have a " boyfriend . " You should be home doing school work.

Women are less likely to be mugged than men. So it’s not getting mugged they’re afraid of. A 15 year old girl like yourself is a •target• for pedophiles and sex traffickers. They’re afraid you’ll get kidnapped or raped. Possibly even murdered. London is also the knife capital of the world. So there’s a higher chance you could get stabbed for absolutely no reason. As for entering a country alone as a child I’m pretty sure the airport won’t even let you board the plane without an adult present anyway, even if they did you’d most likely be detained in London for questioning as to why you’re travelling alone at 15 years old as it’s very unsafe.