Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 year ago

Can I do a portrait photography career with an iPhone?

I can do it with an iPhone that looks rather professional, imo. I’ve practiced on a few of my family. Sure, there can be more improvement which requires practice.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • joedlh
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, if your specialization is portraits for social media. Camera phones have improved greatly. However, they are still limited by the physics of small optics and sensor. You will get better quality photos that are suitable for large prints from a camera with a larger lens and sensor.

The other aspect is the client's expectations. It is true that a skilled photographer can get good photos from a cell phone and an unskilled photographer will get poor images from a Hasselblad. However, the consumer will perceive the larger camera as more "professional".

• 1 year ago

Portrait Photography Career with an IPhone will not work.

But, you can use an iPhone to capture beautiful Portraits of your friends and family, which can be shared in social media. The quality of the image would be pretty decent, especially with the Portrait mode feature. you can take good prints.

But, no one will hire you as a portrait photographer unless you have a good DSLR or mirrorless camera with good portrait lenses. Your portfolio of portrait images is also important when it comes to Portrait photography as a career.

• 1 year ago

yes, casey mcperry, a well known instagram photographer proved this by using his iphone only, his iphone photography account on instagram is @lostmycamera, his main instagram account is @caseymcperry

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No. Simply because the lens in a smartphone is wide angle. Wide-angle lenses should never be used for portraiture because they distort the facial features making people look ugly. You must use an interchangeable lens camera such as a DSLR or a mirrorless, but never a smartphone.

The new iPhone 11 has a 52mm (35mm equivalent) lens, but that's is still too short. You need to be using a focal length somewhere between 85mm~200mm for portraits in order to flatten the perspective which makes people look more attractive than they do in real life. The lens in smartphones has waaaaay too much distortion making it the worst possible camera for portraiture.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Has anyone asked to purchase one of your photographs from your iPhone? No? Well, there's your answer!

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The very fact that you need to ask that question must surely suggest to you the most likely answer!

• 1 year ago

No, you need a better camera to be a professional.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Career? As in a lifelong stream of flowing income? Using nothing but an iphone? Dream on.

Lv 7
    1 year ago

No. Just compare the image size. On my phone, images are usually about 1.3 MB. But on my real camera, they're closer to 7 MB. The extra size means more quality.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.