How do I get my land lord to repaint my apartment?

I just moved in to a an apartment. The apartment is really old and has a few places where the wall colors just don’t match at all. I hate this and want to get it repainted. The land lord is very hesitant and will not do anything unless it’s absolutely necessary. What is a way that I can get my walls repainted. The house used to have a smoker live there if that’s useful at all.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

You cannot get him to do it. He is not going to put himself in a position of liability over you. That job is a "between tenants" job. If you wanted it done, you should have asked BEFORE you moved in. Either offer to do it yourself - he may or may not pay for the paint, or put up with it. It's what you rented.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 3 months ago

By paying for it yourself with your own money so it doesn't cost him anything.

• 3 months ago

See if they will let you pay to have it done..

• 3 months ago

Option #1: offer to do it at no cost to him - you buy the paint and either do the painting yourself or pay a professional painter out of your pocket, give the landlord a chance to approve the color choice.

Option #2: Offer to sign a new lease at an increased monthly rent amount. The monthly increase should be enough to cover the cost of painting within 1-2 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Offer to pay to have it repainted.

• nanu
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

ask.........................................

• 3 months ago

all you can do is ask, the rest is up to him

• 3 months ago

If you are already in there...I bet nothing you could do to convince the LL to paint if you already know they are cheap...

• Judy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Offer to do the painting if they'll but the paint.

• 3 months ago

You should have requested that before you moved in. You're stuck with the paint as it is unless your landlord is a hugely generous person. Which I doubt very seriously.

You could always paint it yourself, yeah?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.