Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Why are community college teacher usually really bad?

Some of the teachers are idiots and i have no idea how they became a teacher. Why are some of them so bad?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Because they lack qualifications and aren't really that skilled in teaching. Some of the professors only obtained a Master's degree, instead of getting a Ph.D, so that's probably the reason why some of the community college instructors are really bad. The professors who taught at four-year colleges/universities often are much more skilled and qualified. There's a reason why it's called community college.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

They usually don't require any qualifications so they could of failed most of their exams

• 2 months ago

My guess is the low quality of the students.

Source(s): I did fine in CC.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

My community college teachers were actually better than my university teachers because they actually worked in the field and didn’t just do research. Honestly depends on the teacher. My community college teachers also had phd’s and were doctors. Some had their own businesses and companies. I studied fine art and science so I can tell ya it really does just depend on the teacher and program and not the school.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

How many community colleges have you been to??

• Speed
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Where I live, community colleges pay right about 25% of what the local colleges and universities pay. They offer no benefits like health insurance, either. So the people with the necessary degrees to teach college don't want to teach at the community college level, and the community college ends up hiring only those no college wants to hire. Usually there's a reason. Poor teaching skills is only one of many.

Before the PhD in my family got a full-time gig, she taught at three area colleges, one class each, no benefits, and still made more than colleagues working full time at the community college.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In my school, the pay difference between universities and our college is quite vast for part-time instructors. We pay 1/3 to 1/2 what surrounding universities pay. Given that, you end up getting those who for whatever reason prefer to work for less (e.g., it's convenient to home or work) or can't get the better gigs.

That can include credentials - we can hire industry people with limited formal credentials, whereas universities prefer a PhD or at least a terminal master's degree. We can hire people who actually do things in the field. That can be a very positive thing - but it also can lower the bar even further if you'll just accept anyone.

*Most* of the part time instructors I've hired for my program are great people. There are some that are not, and you work with them to improve - and if they refuse to do that, we have not renewed their contracts.

One particularly toxic person tried to get a raise saying he had a better gig elsewhere. We told him to take it because he was a consistent pain in the a$s. We hired people to replace him mid-term because he just quit. I looked up his director at the new gig and told him what kind of person he was getting. He hasn't been employed very consistently in his life, for obvious reasons. But he has a PhD, so HR was keen on hiring him. Credentials are no replacement for being a decent human being.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Community colleges, as two year, missioned to accept all students with a high school degree or GED, is only one step above high school. Although a transfer is possible for Junior and Senior years, sometimes credits are not fully transferable, and often mixed into community colleges are trade school courses or classes.

The schools serve a worthwhile purpose, but some of the students there really shouldn't be and they should be only seeking certificates and trade school. Since the teachers are generally paid less than college professors and dont have the same research projects, you cannot expect them to be on the same level as four year degree granting (BS/BA and higher) colleges and universities.

Just as secondary and primary school teachers vary highly and rarely at the same level as higher education, you just have to expect it.

• 2 months ago

Some community colleges are VERY good and the teachers are also, it just depends on where you are and what you are taking.

• 2 months ago

Because its community college

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.