Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 2 months ago

Why parents don't want their kids on social media?

When I was 15 my parents deleted my facebook account because it's not safe.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Social Media is so open to elements ( both bad and good). To name a few of the bad ones as a parent, my fears are if they read the brutal/irrelevant post they can't comprehend yet, as to what extent is their judgment to that post? Social media replaces learning the hard social "work" of dealing face-to-face with peers, a skill they should have practice to be successful in real-life.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

To be honest with you I'm not completely sure why parents do that. I'm a teen myself, and my parents taught me the do's and dont's of social media. I would think that as a parent it would make more sense to teach your kids how to behave correctly on social media, and how to handle important issues like cyber-bullying and harassment, etc. instead of just keeping them away from it. What happens when they become an adult? If you didn't teach them, they would just be clueless about the real world and wouldn't know what to do. That's just my two cents.

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

why don't you ask THEM? they alone would know why they did what they did.

• Nunya
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

A lot of kids do dumb things with easy access to social media. Doing things that might embarrass their parents or ruin the kid's reputation at school, work prospects, etc. Places like Facebook is also where you might attract people that might want stalk, harass, and harm you simply for saying something that triggers them.

It also creates an unhealthy obsession with the 'like' culture. You get addicted to online stimulation that you replace it with real-life activities.

If you feel like they are wrong then you should move out whenever you can.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

live a little! Go outside. See other things. kids spend all day on facebook becoming totally absorbed in themselves and what people think. You'll be much happier without it.

Lv 7
    2 months ago

Teens tend to accept friend requests from people they don't know in real life. That's one reason.

• 2 months ago

Because it's not safe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.