Why do white Americans call themselves "Irish" or "Italian", etc. as if they come from those countries?

Are they bored with themselves?

Favorite Answer

I do it so people know I'm not British or Spanish, I'm not either Anglo or Hispanio ... Besides Italians still practice blood lines. So, most of them are actually Italian. There's many originals in Italy anymore anyway.

And for those of you in the US. Look up the phrase "e pluribus unum" so time. It didn't come from England, Spain or Mexico.

• shoeshopper37 months agoReport

You're American. Not European.

No, we know what country our family is from because our ancestors came here by choice. Blacks can only call themselves African because they don't know what country their ancestors were from.

Some Americans call themselves Irish American or Italian American

or German American because their ancestors came from those countries.

Because they're talking about ethnicity or the culture of their family. It's a completely separate thing from nationality. You can be born in a country and have a different level connection with it on a cultural level. It is questionable for those that know little to nothing about the culture they're claiming, but I've met many hyphenated Americans that have a really strong connection with a different country. Especially those that are of an early generation born in the United States.

Most white Americans have some family lore that tells them which part of Europe their ancestors fled from or were kicked out of. They like to think of the way Europe was already broken up into unique cultures and polities by the time continent-wide commerce became practical - because it offers them a charming, harmless way to talk about and indulge their internal sense of being different from everyone around them.

All humans have that feeling. At the same time it drives us in two directions: to stand out, and to be a part of something. It can be strong in some people and almost non-existent in others. Many satisfy it with belonging to their nuclear family, or to their church, or from their hometown. Others satisfy it with politics, religion, or "race", or membership in a gang. Many European-Americans satisfy it with being "Irish" or "Italian", etc.

White Americans want to acknowledge their ancestry not claim to be from those countries, there is nothing wrong with it.

Well, I'm American but my parents are from Iran and white people have called me Persian, Iranian, or an Arab (Iranians aren't Arab). Most people perceive me as if I'm an immigrant based on my parents' nationality.

We of European descent are proud of our heritage. We love what our ancestors have done in science, in government, in economics, in culture in general.

So we celebrate October Fest, St. Patrick's Day, and other ethno-cultural holidays along with our relatives still in Europe. But white Americans aren't the only ones who do that.

Yellows in America celebrate Tet and Gung Hay Fat Choy just like their relatives in Asia. And black Americans do Kwanzaa to celebrate their African heritage. Haley would call it their "Roots."

I don't think being bored is the motivation for celebrating our roots. I think it's pride and, hey, any excuse for a party is a good one.

The American Indians are from the red people in Russia. A permeant frost bit.

Pray to GOD about this!

They're referring to their ethnic and cultural background. You wouldn't understand because you're just black.

• iammclane

I rarely TD, because what's the point...but that was just gratuitous.