Is it legal for a landlord to charge you extra rent 3 months after signing the lease and paying first last and security deposit?

We signed the lease back in June 24th but it’s for July. She told us that she wanted someone to move in right away but told her we couldn’t since we still need to give notice to my current place. So we paid for first which is for July, last and security deposit during the signing. We didn’t even move in right away. We just slowly moved our things and finally fully moved on July 31st, but we never actually slept there til the last day of July. Anyways, we live here now and everything is fine but two days ago we received a letter notice from the landlord. It was saying that we have delinquent rent. At first, I got confused cuz I just paid rent this month. Then I read it again and it says I’m supposed to pay for June 24th-30th. I know I signed on June 24th but that’s because she told us to come in and sign but it’s for July. That’s why I paid we agreed and what I paid for, we have receipts. Why only now she’s are charging us? There was no mention of this during the interview, the signing day or the lease agreement. Is this legal? I emailed her asking her why now and why tell inform us before signing. Can she do this? Should I call for help or housing authority? She’s saying if we don’t pay she can evict us. We just don’t agree that we should pay for that. Why didn’t she include that or tell us from the beginning, right? I’m confused. Pls someone give e advice. Thanks!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The lease should include the dates it's effective, from and to. If the lease says it starts June 24, then yes you owe it. If the lease says it starts July 1, then you don't owe for June 24-30. When you slept there, or moved your things in, is irrelevant.

• 2 months ago

This is September. Does not matter when you slept there, you leased it on June 24 which mean on July 24 rent was due. Did you pay it? On August 24th rent was due again. Did you pay it? On September 24th it will be due again and you owe 3 months. I suggest you pay it.

• 2 months ago

If the lease says the 24th...then you owe.

You didn't get tricked...you signed a document which you had every right to read...

• 2 months ago

The lease will tell what date you started renting the place. If the lease says you started June 24th, then you owe for those days in June. If the lease says you started July 1st then you only owe from since July 1st. I would be very surprised if the lease says nothing but in that case it would be up to her to prove the lease began June 24th and since the money you gave her clearly began July 1 this would be very difficult for her to do but I suspect the lease does say June 24th and you just didn't read it carefully enough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If your lease showed starting date as June 24th then you owe. If it shows July 1 then you don't.

• 2 months ago

Absent a specified starting date, the lease starts the date it was signed.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It doesn't matter what you think you verbally discussed. If the lease you signed indicates that it started on 6/24/2019 then you owe that money. It doesn't matter when you actually started to sleep there. In general as soon as you took the keys from the landlord you owe, but what the start date on the lease contract is what matters. You told the landlord "July" and basically you took the keys in July so it seems to me the landlord is correct. You have to pay the rent or face likely eviction. If you want to take her to court you can do so after payment.

• 2 months ago

Sorry it’s my first place with my name on the lease. Anyways, she told us it’s for July but she asked us to sign before. I even asked her if were going to be charged she said no. Only for July. She tricked us then. Also why would she not mention it to begin with? 3 months later?

• fireflyfliesby
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

How did she trick you? The contract says June. You signed the contract. You played yourself.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

For the seventeenth time, what does your lease say?

No one here can tell you whether you owe for June 24-June 30 because we don't know when you got the keys or what your lease says.

• 2 months ago

Read your lease. What's the start day?

If the lease was valid from signature, you owe rent from the date it was signed. No-one here can help as you are the only one with the lease.

• sunshine_mel
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It's not a trick - it/'s up to you to read a legally binding contract BEFORE you sign it, and question anything that doesn't look right / that you don't understand

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.