Is it legal for a landlord to charge you extra rent 3 months after signing the lease and paying first last and security deposit?

We signed the lease back in June 24th but it’s for July. She told us that she wanted someone to move in right away but told her we couldn’t since we still need to give notice to my current place. So we paid for first which is for July, last and security deposit during the signing. We didn’t even move in right away.... show more We signed the lease back in June 24th but it’s for July. She told us that she wanted someone to move in right away but told her we couldn’t since we still need to give notice to my current place. So we paid for first which is for July, last and security deposit during the signing. We didn’t even move in right away. We just slowly moved our things and finally fully moved on July 31st, but we never actually slept there til the last day of July. Anyways, we live here now and everything is fine but two days ago we received a letter notice from the landlord. It was saying that we have delinquent rent. At first, I got confused cuz I just paid rent this month. Then I read it again and it says I’m supposed to pay for June 24th-30th. I know I signed on June 24th but that’s because she told us to come in and sign but it’s for July. That’s why I paid we agreed and what I paid for, we have receipts. Why only now she’s are charging us? There was no mention of this during the interview, the signing day or the lease agreement. Is this legal? I emailed her asking her why now and why tell inform us before signing. Can she do this? Should I call for help or housing authority? She’s saying if we don’t pay she can evict us. We just don’t agree that we should pay for that. Why didn’t she include that or tell us from the beginning, right? I’m confused. Pls someone give e advice. Thanks!