My home central air is leaking water from the unit to my bath tub. I know that means the drip fan is full. is that normal?

the hole in the bath room ceiling is designed for excess water to drop to.

is there anything to worry about

• elhigh
    Favorite Answer

No, it's not normal. The drip pan should be draining to somewhere else. You need to get to where the unit is and blow the clog out of the drain line coming off the unit itself. I usually use a can of compressed air for that, or else just take deep breath and give it a big HUFF to push the clog through.

Yeah, it sounds gross but whatever. It gets the job done.

If you can't do that you can try running a Zip-It or similar down into that drain line. Get the longest one you can find because sometimes those drain lines can be kind of long, but if you're lucky the clog is in the trap fairly close to the HVAC unit itself.

I hope you're saying that the unit is overflowing and the drip coming from it is landing in the tub, and not that the unit's drain line is routed so that it flows into the tub, because THAT would be, like, super janky installation work and whoever did it needs his butt kicked really hard.

Good luck with it.

• Mitch

The drain is coming from a safety pan designed to catch water and alert the occupant there is a problem with the main draining system.

No, check the evaporation pump

Are you saying that the overflow is designed to go into your tub? If that is the case (which seems very odd), then presumably it is doing what it was designed to do and thus to be expected.

The situation raises questions that need to be answered first. It does not sound "normal" to me in any way, but it is quite possible that someone installed the system that way on purpose. You should know better than any of us if this sort of behavior is "normal" (as per design or installation) though, unless you only just moved into the place or have no history of usage of that AC unit..

The condensate is supposed to accumulate into a pan or basin of some sort, and the excess has to either drain somewhere by gravity or get pumped away. It seems to me that your unit relies on gravity overflow with the destination being the tub (and via the tub to the drain). If you are suddenly experiencing a lot of overflow, that does suggest some sort of issue if weather conditions do not justify it.

• Bob

at least its going to the tub..