Anonymous

Do you feel the Americans with Disabilities Act is enforced?

Favorite Answer

absolutely not, even the courts and disability services programs violate it. a judge actually said on record that he felt wheelchair access should be the courts only obligation under ADA..even though I sent the court expert reports listing many possible accommodations including the ones I asked for that the court balked at.

wheelchair access is the most visible provision.

I had an employment issue. I could not travel out of state to hear the company tell me how good it was going to be to me and sign me up for benefits. It would cost $5 to mail the benefits package to me or I could have gone to the local office. I was fired. I had emails and mail receipts from my request for reasonable accommodation to be exempt from the meeting. EEOC took the employers word that they never heard from me about the request,

I filed a USDOJ complaint re the court, 18 months later, I got a form letter saying they don't have the resources to investigate..

My state civil rights office is worse.

I KNOW MY supposed RIGHTS AND FILED COMPLAINTS AND THE AGENCIES ACTED STUPID AND ALLOWED THE ABUSE....and when you can't afford a lawyer you have no rights...these cases are not profitable for lawyers to take on contingency...and even if they do, the victim still needs to pay expenses up front.

The ADA is a law without teeth. There is no local reinforcement required. Enforcement only exists when people know their rights and file complaints. In some states/ jurisdictions little is done to act on complaints but others are very proactive. Citizen complaints in my township brought about several miles of sidewalk along a formerly rural road that has become heavy with traffic.

I wish Canada had something like that.

Only when someone files a complaint and can prove it

In some areas like the number of handicap parking spaces to non-handicapped spaces or accessibility in new construction; yes it most definitely is. In education is pretty much is as well. However I can't say how it's enforced as it relates to the employment of of the disabled as I don't feel I know enough about it to have a real opinion of it.

NO, I don't think they enforced like they should. I seen so many times in the workforce co-workers with disabilities and they treat them like Sh!t.