daniel asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 months ago

Why do students have a hard time learning English?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

I have always maintained that English is the easiest W,European language.

Well that is partly true and especially for me.

On the other hand there are many difficulties in English such as ;

Spelling,many words are spelled very odd even according to English spelling rules.

The to do form in asking asking questions and answering them.

The ' ing ' ending ' with many verbs..

I have correspondence with many Russian people.

For them little words like do.did, a,an,the and to are either omitted or wrongly used.

• 3 months ago

All students have a hard time learning ANY language.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The answer can only be it depends because 'students' can mean a wide variety of people.

It is known, for example, that those children whose first language is English may take longer to learn to read and spell than say children learning Spanish whose first language is Spanish. This is because of the mismatch of the written and spoken language. If you hear a spoken word in English its not easy to know its spelling. For example, if we take the way the letters i the following word are pronounced in some circumstances 'gosh' is a possible alternative spelling to 'fish'.

If the learner was Chinese their problems would be, I think threefold. All of which would be major problems. For example, in writing the learner would need to learn an entirely different script and one which is used in a very different way from Chinese script. Then they would have to learn a language with atonal pronunciation. They would also find grammar and sentence structure somewhat more complex.

On the other hand a native Dutch speaker would have far fewer problems. They would already be familiarly with the script, i.e. the Roman alphabet. The rules of grammar are less different than between English and, say, Russian. There are not many sounds in English a Dutch speaker would find too challenging. There are many cognates between the two languages.

So the answer to your question depends on who your 'student' happens to be.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

For a start - spelling and pronunciation! Look at: through though, thought, thorough, through, trough, tough, bough. All look similar, all sound very different.

And then there is the small matter of all the different form used in different parts of the world-wide English-speaking world. E.g. In Britain, pedestrians walk on the pavement ("sidewalk" in the USA), but in the USA cars and trucks drive on the pavement. And American biscuits are different from British biscuits ("cookies" in the USA). Etc, etc. In Australia "crook" is an adjective meaning misshapen or ill, but in Britain "a crook" is a criminal. And in Australia "rooted" is a very naughty word.

• Don Verto
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Dear friend how would you spell all the words in your first sentence?
      Sure English spelling is a mess.Webster made a good try but stopped after a few words.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

maybe cause its a hard language to learn

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Because it has too many words ( synonyms), lots of homonyms, homographs, homophones.

It has a lot of irregularities. It has spelling contests for NATIVE speakers.

If you want to know an easy language, learn Esperanto

• 3 months ago

English as spoken and as written follow two different syntax's. English was a spoken language which an educated man decided to write rules of grammar to be used in writing that were not in congruent with the language as spoken.

Of course words like Four, fore and for do not help. Also the taking of words from other languages is also a hindrance. Add to that the language has no clear cut rules on word development.

I am not positive but I think it is the only language in the world that can not be written as spoken and still be considered written correctly.

There is no correct way to state "There are three tu's in the English language, to, too and two." in writing. No matter how it is written is it incorrect. It can be spoken correctly but not written correctly.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Because it's a ridiculous language. So many needless freakin' synonyms!

• 3 months ago

English is obviously not hard to learn, because there are 743 million non-native speakers (those who speak English as their second language) in the world.

• Zirp
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

widely taught is not the same as easy

• Matt
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Englsh is a tricky language, especially when written. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.

• Matt
      Lv 4
      3 months agoReport

Even so, you can see why some whould find the language hard to understand, even speaking alone can be ticky when our vowels have multiple pronunciations as oppsed to say Japanese where the AEiOU sounds are consistent

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.