Why do people think co-dependence is always such a bad thing?

My boyfriend had gone through so much in his life that his body is no longer able to produce positive energy on its own. His parents abused him very horrendously when he was a child, and he is traumatized for life by this, and this is not his fault. This is where I need to compensate, and I don't mind being... show more My boyfriend had gone through so much in his life that his body is no longer able to produce positive energy on its own. His parents abused him very horrendously when he was a child, and he is traumatized for life by this, and this is not his fault. This is where I need to compensate, and I don't mind being there for him and doing what I can to heal him, I would think this is what unconditional love is all about...so why would people blame him for this, or judge and criticize me for this, or pressure me to leave him, demanding that he and his "co-dependence" are only a burden to me? And these are usually people who grew up in loving, nurturing families, by the way. Why would they blame him for being less fortunate than they are? I guess we just live in a selfish, superficial society. Lol