Can my friend get his money back from the immigration lawyer that ripped him off?

I arrived back in the USA in January 2018, and I was able to get my wife an IR1 visa by August 2018. I had started the process four months before I left Singapore, so the process from start to visa was about 10 months. I did all the paperwork myself. My friend got back three years ago. He hired a lawyer that... show more I arrived back in the USA in January 2018, and I was able to get my wife an IR1 visa by August 2018. I had started the process four months before I left Singapore, so the process from start to visa was about 10 months. I did all the paperwork myself.

My friend got back three years ago. He hired a lawyer that took his $6000. The visa application was rejected. We started over. This time I filled everything out for him. He only signed the documents. It was approved by the USCIS, and is now in the hands of the US Embassy. She will be here in a month or so.

HIs lawyer did not do her job. How can he get his money back? The case is too big for small claims court, and no other lawyer will take the case. One lawyer that he called said, "Incompetence is not a crime". I thought that was kind of a rude comment.
Update: The documents come with instructions, and much of the process is handled over the internet. The web site walks you though the process.