Can my health insurance company cancel me because I live in a hotel?

I am a professional engineer, but I work contract because I like the freedom of moving around and working projects that are interesting to me.

So, I have an individual insurance plan, not group coverage like you would get with a large employer.

Can they cancel my policy because I live in a hotel? That is, really have no home or defined state of residence?

I have a valid NY drivers license but am living in California.I move around a lot but update my insurance coverage to cover the state in which I am working.

Should also state I paid US and California taxes last year.

They can deny you many coverages if you don't have a home address that puts you in a local network for coverage. And that has the same affect as being canceled. You need a home address.

• Eva

No, but you have to check to make sure the plan you purchased will cover you in another state.

They won't cancel you if you live in a hotel in a place where a person can live and have the insurance that you live. But they have to cancel you if you live in a hotel in a place where a person can't live and have the insurance that you have. Each insurance plan is only available in certain states, and sometimes only in certain ZIP codes or counties. They are not allowed to insure anyone living outside that area.

Generally, 6 months and one day in a state establishes residency. So, if you've lived in a hotel for the last 6 months, then you could use that as your resident state.

• Judy

If you don't have an address where the company sells policies, yes they can cancel you. It has nothing to do with living in a hotel.

The USA does not have nomads.

When you file taxes, you pick full year resident, partial year resident, non-resident.

If you select non-resident, you will be a resident of another state at the same time.

In your situation, don't you have a permanent address somewhere?

Where does the DMV, IRS, and other agencies/companies that always send hardcopy paperwork to you? That is your address and that is where you would get your health insurance.

So it that's not in California, make sure you are purchasing a plan that allows full out of state coverage.

In response to the comments:

Of course, you paid US and CA taxes last year.

If you earn money in CA regardless if you are a resident or not, you owe taxes on this money.

If you filed these taxes as a "resident" of California, then you are a resident of California and you are breaking the law having a NY license and car insurance.

If you filed taxes as a "non resident" where did you file your residency taxes.