How long should I not run for after I take cast off?

I know this question has been asked before but I didn't find any satisfactory answers so... Basically, I broke my fourth toe or the joint connecting it (actually, I'm pretty sure I just cracked it a little bit). The doctor put me in a cast (boot cast) and told me to wear it for 3 weeks. He didn't adjust anything. I forgot to ask him about running so I'm asking you guys. Also, I'm a runner, I ran 6 miles almost every morning so I guess you understand how tough this is on me... I'm 16 btw. Thanks in advance!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kerri
    Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

It takes at minimum 6 weeks for a broken bone to heal. Some breaks take much longer. There’s not much that can be done for a broken toe other than buddy taping or using a boot to protect it for a few weeks as it heals. After the boot comes off, start out slowly with just walking around at first. If you have no pain or swelling then it’s safe to slowly work back up to your previous running level.

Source(s): Nurse
    • Kerri
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

You’re most welcome. Get well soon and good luck ❤️

• 3 weeks ago

Our weight bearing bones heal faster when we bear weight on them; however, you need to discuss this issue with the doctor who is treating you for the break.

And i'm going to tell you that running every day of your life has a huge impact on your spine and a very negative one. Every time your foot hits the ground, the disks in your spine are stressed.

I know three people who were life-long runners, and they have terrible back problems today. Yes, they are older, but if they weren't life-long runners they would not walk around in pain every day, all day.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would have thought at least 6 weeks.

• paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

phone calls to your doctor are free , emails are also free,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

you need rest as much and do not restrain your leg pls rest as much until you can fully run.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.