Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

What is wrong with my son? He's so angry a lot these days?

I have a son in high school who has developed anger problems he didn't used to have. Up until age 15, he was the most respectful/well behaved kid you would ever meet. He was always very kind and obedient and would never get into trouble. Shortly after he turned 15, all of this changed. about once a week, he will get very angry, scream, and yell over small reasons and sometimes even get violent and damage things. Just yesterday, he got suspended from school for being very disrespectful to one of his teachers. This is not the first time he's been suspended in high school, but he's never been suspended in elementary or middle school, nor has he ever gotten in trouble during those year (in school or at home)! He went from being the nicest, well-behaved kid you could know to being a mean bully! His respect has gone way down, even to me and my husband! We now have to set consequences for him (grounding, taking away privileges, more chores, etc.), something we never used to have to do. His punishments also make him rage even worse. He obviously needs help, and we are looking for help in our area (Cobb County, GA). Anyone know what our next step should be? I want him to be the kind, respectful person he used to be.

Best Answer

It could be a lot of things which is why it is important to have him evaluated by a professional, and irresponsible to guess now.

• edward

Where were you when you were a teen? Yeah, i was nice too but there was like a few months where i was so angry, not without reason i didn’t place first in a swim meet once and i had forgotten what it felt like to lose at that point in my life

You may need to take him to a psychiatrist. This is a definite change.

The first thing you and your husband need to do, ma'am, is have your son tested for DRUGS. One of the signs of drug use is a massive, sudden personality change. And depending on what he's using, you need to get him to REHAB, ASAP. His life may be in danger, so don't WAIT. It's not going to get better if you wait.

• y

This is what happens to teen boys who don;t have a constructive outlet for the sudden surges of chemicals through their bodies, that they never had before. For some it is sports, others have passions such as music, art , theater, academics, whatever. Constructive outlets is the key and if they don't have them already when this crap starts. It is very difficult to guide them, to reach them at this point. This is where the drugs, the drinking, the rebel behaviors and such come into play. Say what one wants about the Obama era, but young men had an outlet to express their anger. Yes it came at the expense of shop keepers and such, but nothing is perfect.

• Mark

A someone in puberty acting up? Wow! Who ever heard of such a thing? (Seriously, even "good" kids" can go temporarily "bad". I don't think *I* ever said it (though I'm sure I said something similar - I wasn't born an adult, and neither were you), but a typical thing for a teenager to do is stomp off to his/her room, yelling "I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN!!!"

Sorry about that but it means that your son, is no longer a kid. During this age, he might act up and get angry al lot for no apparent reason. The best thing for you to do is when he gets angry don't scream back at him just give him his space till he cools off. And on his good days go try to talk to him, ask him why he's angry and when you can do to help him with it. Also, he might just need someone to talk to and thinks that you guys are just too old and won't understand, try getting him to go see a therapist which can help a lot. If after all that he's still getting angry and is still screaming or stuff go a little more extream you should let him take a break from school and take some anger management classes. The most important thing is NOT to scream at him or ground him and do stuff that will make him even angrier, try just to be loving and understanding. And know this won't just be an overnight fix it might take months even years to fix this problem but don't get discouraged.

• blank

Hate to say it - but there is a CAUSE for his shift in behavior and unfortunately one of the most common is drug abuse / addiction. I would take him to the doctor asap and have any medical causes ruled out (don't tell him you are asking the Dr for drug screen - but do ask the Dr for it).

IF everything checks out there - then there is something going on at school or something: trauma related? Bullying? Had a girl friend you did not know about and they broke up?

Anger and lashing out are usually symptoms / recations to pain of some kind. Emotional, physical or mental there has to be a cause. If he checks out medically - then sit him down and unconditionally tell him you are there for him and want to help him: there is nothing he cannot tell you that will change your love for him. Enoucrage him to open up, but remember you cannot force him.

Let him know that if he feels he cannot talk to you at home, that you will help him find someone he can talk to safely.

Good luck.

• SHIRLEY

Forgot to mention hormones...testosterone can cause mood swings too

I would start with the school guidance counselor, ask for input and suggestions then go from there. You and your husband only meet with the guidance counselor and I would not tell my son about it. Teenagers can be difficult, esp boys.

• Donald

It could be drugs, being bullied at school, maybe he was molested, or a medical condition. There are many things that can cause a kid to get angry and act out. I would seek professional counseling and make sure the counselor will let you know what is going on with your son.

Some counselors consider theie session private and will not discuss things with the parents, which is no good to you for helping your son deal with these problems.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this problem before is gets too late.