promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 months ago

Should I keep going with this book?

i've written four full length novels (well the last one is mostly done) and spent the last 6 years perfecting them, rewriting, editing, etc. I've been submitting the first one to agents and publishers who take unsolicited manuscripts for a while now. I keep getting rejections and I know that is part of the process, but I'm also starting to feel like no one will ever get to read my work. Does anyone have any tips for getting published or withstanding the rejections?

Update:

They're all part of one series by the way and lengths are average 90,000 words

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

How many rejections have you gotten and are they all standard rejections?

5-10 standard rejections is not a big deal, but the more you get, the more you need to consider that the rejections might be down to either your query and/or your manuscript. Have you had beta readers go over both?

It could also simply be that they don't feel there's a market for what you've written. The first novel you're querying now can be read as a stand-alone novel, right? Otherwise that might be your problem there.

And of course it's a really difficult market to break into to. You are literally competing with thousands of new authors, that in itself could explain why you keep getting rejected.

As to how to handle them. I like to think of it like "Water off a duck. Onwards!" - unless you can learn something from it. Yeah, it stings, but believe it or not, you can actually get used to it. Do be 100% invested in your manuscript, but try to distance yourself emotionally from the whole beta reading and querying process.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

You have invested too much time in writing a novel plus its sequels. Your goal should be to publish the first one, as a stand-alone. You're way ahead of what's necessary, because you have written the sequels. If a publisher does pick up the first novel, and it sells, you've got the next in the series ready to go. At that point, you can relax, and turn out fresh, new material.

• Let me point out the flaw here.

You keep writing a series which isn't selling.

That is one failure, not four failures, because nobody buys sequels to a book they do not want.

Many popular authors published novels which failed or had dismal sales.

Then one hit for whatever reason and they then wrote the sequels to that novel, running it into the ground, until the sales no longer justified writing more.

Quit thinking you're J.K Rowling or Tolkien.

You're not. All that planning is just wasted time till you sell one novel. All those sequels are a waste of time.

• 9 months ago

You are the ONLY person who knows how willing you are to persevere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Logan
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

Keep putting your novel in for consideration, someone may eventually take a hold of it. If they're giving you advice with your rejection then incorporate it. Maybe you also need to find someone else to read it who can and will give you honest feedback, so not a friend or family member.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

An author's first book usually is not publishable, so I would not give up the writing process.

Can your first book stand alone, without the others? Publishers are taking a chance on a new author, and one with a series may scare them. They don't want to commit to a series that is not saleable.

Did you send your manuscript to the right publishers and agents? You probably know that publishers of thrillers don't publish romances, and that some don't publish fantasy for the Young Adult readers while others do. Maybe your characters swear too much or to little, or sound too "literary" for their qualifications.

• 9 months ago

Are you getting requests to see all or part of the manuscript when you contact agents or publishers who don't require agents? If you aren't, the query letter is weak. That doesn't mean the work is good, or bad, or anything, It means you need to write a much better query to entice them into asking to see the book. You're getting rejected based on the query alone.

• Evelyn
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Keep going unless you suck. "They're all part of one series" scares me a little.

• 9 months ago

Ok you spent 6 years investing yourself in this book. Just because you stop now doesn't mean you can't keep going on later on. Take a break. Stop for right now. However you choose, continue working on something you invested so much of your time on. The longer it takes does not take away from its quality.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Please stop asking stupid questions and just make up your mind

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.