My niece has asked me to videotape her wedding.?

I have done this sort of thing before for friends (I'm not a pro by any means), and it can be very involved. Making sure you get the rights shots, trying to make sure the final product is beautiful. I was looking forward to just enjoying the day with my family and not having to "work." I want to say no, but don't know how to without hurting her feelings. Or am I just being selfish?

Favorite Answer

No. I completely understand what you are saying. Tell her something like "I'm very flattered you asked me to do this but I'd much rather attend your wedding as a guest and enjoy watching your special day with my own eyes & not through a camera." Then offer as a gift to help put a little money towards paying someone to do it for her.

You could say you would be willing to help videotape her wedding, on a limited time period, so you could enjoy her special day with her. Such as you would be glad to videotape before the wedding ceremony and before the reception starts, or when the reception ends. Or something like that. OR you could state to her, that you are willing to videotape the honeymoon. LOL

• g

I wouldn't - I'd tell her I'd rather be a guest than take on that responsibility.

I was asked to MC my best friend's wedding, so I agreed but on the day pretended to be too drunk to do it. That way there were no hard feelings. Try faking an illness or say that your camera is broken.

Why not ask a few family members to do half an hour each? Or set up a couple of cameras on tripods and have a hand held one as well to capture some extra minutes. Otherwise offer to pay someone to do it as a wedding present.

You are not being selfish. She's asking a lot to expect you to do this for free or at all. You should just tell her that you are uncomfortable with the responsibility of filming this very important event and don't feel you have the expertise to do it. If you know some professionals, suggest them to her. But just decline politely.