Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 10 months ago

Does childhood abuse cause PTSD and borderline personality disorder?

Its caused me to have anxiety & depression

• DJC

It can. I've also heard it can cause: dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities), hypersexuality, reactive attachment disorder, major depressive disorder (clinical depression), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), psychopathy, sociopathy, and eating disorders (anything from anorexia and bulimia to binge-eating disorder).

That’s what they say. I also find it interesting and disturbing that a couple of therapists I’ve been to in my life had had obvious borderline personality issues themselves. I’m waiting for the day when psychotherapy is conducted by artificial intelligence rather than human beings. Too many of the psycho therapists and psychiatrists I’ve been to in my life have been amazingly fvcked up human beings themselves who actually made me worse as a result . They need to find a way to take the human element out of psychotherapy. Just have your issues diagnosed and treated by artificial intelligence, preferably without psychiatric drugs which will also fvck you up for good. Maybe hypnosis, neurofeedback and other safer modalities, for example

Yes. I have C-PTSD from childhood abuse.

It can possibly be a cause, yes. Childhood abuse are one of the many factors which can cause and trigger symptoms of both conditions. Neglect by either one or both parents can be what triggers BPD, whereas PTSD can be triggered by the other types of abuse too.

anything that happens till the age seven sticks with your sobconcoius brain

Abuse in childhood has differing consequences. Not everyone breaks. Most people are likely to have an effect that looks a lot like mental illness. But no one talks about it. If you're really "borderline", caretakers have you marked for being 'difficult.' It's more about recovery, than a doctors "treatment"---meds, talk therapy in groups, one on one talk, commitment to a future goal, like school or work. Ease of communicating your symptoms is problematic and for the time spent, progress can be slow.m

In 90% of the cases absolutely. It might be "C-PTSD" which is different "Complex".

While there are hundreds of research papers here are two:

BPD

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1989-29555-001

C-PTSD;PTSD / Sexual Abuse:

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1991-04760-001

PTSD/BPD are not "common" they happen frequently enough we understand them. It is reasonable to believe someone could have both.

Hope that best answer helped :/ I'd offer more but that is all you asked.

Listenforyou@protonmail.com

ptsd can manifest in ways similar to bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. i have ptsd and have been misdiagnosed as bipolar

From what I've read, yes it can.