Could I get some tips on buying a car not from my immediate location?

I’m looking to buy a used vehicle and I know I can find a deal around my area but as I’ve broadened my search, I’ve come to notice better deals on vehicles in my criteria 100s of miles away. Low miles car payments is the goal right? All I know about buying a used vehicle is you’ve got to be careful to not be buying something that’ll come with a host of problems within months of the purchase. I’m also aware that I’ll more than likely be paying a delivery fee. I don’t even know all the right questions to ask, could I be given pointers on this matter? Perhaps things I need to know, things to ask over the phone when I call about a vehicle.

Favorite Answer

Do NOT buy a car you have not seen and driven in person. The better deals you found may not be actual cars, they could be scams.

No scenario where it would be ok. A low mileage car still under factory warranty might seem safe but there is no guarantee it has not had paint or body work decreasing its value by a lot.

Scammers offer money back guarantees and free shipping. In those cases, there is no car. You send your money and they keep it.

No dealer prices are going to be cheap enough to pay for shipping. Buy locally from a private party.

• g

First and foremost, Nick, never ever buy an automobile sight unseen. Too risky.

Secondly, only consider used automobiles which the seller can show your full and complete PROOF they have properly serviced and maintained the vehicle. If they can't, again, too risky.

Have your mechanic inspect and make sure it has a clean title.

• Scott

I can't emphasize this enough: do not buy a used car without physically inspecting the vehicle and the title, or without test driving it before you buy it.