Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Should high school students be taught how to cook in school?

I’m a young culinarian (22), that has an interest in teaching the benefits of cooking and the knowledge of food itself. I want to gage how many of you think that they do/do not need this experience taught to them.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

this cooking / food knowledge is essential to life, so yes, it should be taught. it is probably more important than the fine arts (jewelry making, photography, painting, water coloring, etc)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

htrhtrhtrhtrhtrhtrhtr

• 2 months ago

Many high schools that once had culinary arts programs have ended them, along with traditional Home Economics courses, wood shop and mechanics programs. Some schools may still offer these courses under the 'alternative education' umbrella, but it is unlikely that if the district cut spending for the programs, that they will offer the program any other way. When an alternative education is offered in a traditionally academic environment, it basically comes down to running a school within a school, and it is costly. Vo-ed courses can be accessed in vocational high schools. In this setting, a student attends grades 9-12, and takes requisite academic courses, with a concentration in the vocation of their choosing.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I believe students do need to be taught this. It encourages the next generation of chefs and prepares students for adulthood - many are not taught how to cook at home so they may struggle in the fure

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They should be taught to cook, long before high school, AT HOME.

• 2 months ago

Yes as long as it is Both sexes

• Satan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most schools in the UK give some basic cooking.

Best way to teach some kids is to show that cooking is actually a proper science.

Some reason, most guys think cooking is sissy, despite the majority of best chefs in the world being male, and the fact that they wouldnt dare state their belief to Gordon Ramsay.

But, like I said, it is a science, requiring exact measurements, timing, temps

• 2 months ago

No need they can learn that in their homes with the help of their parents.

• Quinton2 months agoReport

I can speak from experience and say most parents in this day and age do not teach their children of to cook. The freak at the sight of a knife in a child’s hand.

• Likke What?? U didn't Takke Home Ec. in Middle School ?

Home Ec, in my school, was a class that taught us how to care for a home and children. Touched on cooking for a week.

• 2 months ago

Uh that's why you attend culinary school......

Culinary School teaches more than just cooking, but the part that is cooking is easy for one term. The next 11 terms were advance and taught discipline. The one term Teaches you knife skills, simple cooking methods and easy “home cooked” meals some could call them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.