What is the stigma attached to driving a minivan?

I am a 31 year old guy please tell me why someone like me would not own a minivan... even if it was out of necessity (I.e I need a car fast)

Favorite Answer

There has been a procession of stigmatized vehicles reminiscent of the euphemism treadmill. That linguistic principle shows that one term replaces another as society's perception of it changes. Thus "idiot" becomes "mentally retarded" which becomes "developmentally disabled". Another example is how "shell shock" becomes "battle fatigue" which becomes "post-traumatic stress disorder".

Similarly, a station wagon was the classic way to haul the maximum amount of kids and stuff from the 1950s through the 1970s. By the 1980s these were perceived as "square" by the young adult car buyers that had grown up in them. The minivan was conceived as an alternative shape that still provided five doors and a maximum amount of space mounted onto a new front-wheel-drive unibody. It served the same function but looked sufficiently different.

By the time the 1990's and 2000's rolled around, the minivan had acquired the same "mom-mobile, grocery-getter" stigma that station wagons had had previously. Enter the "sport-utility vehicle". Changing over to a truck chassis to combat the reputation for mushy handling and to bring four-wheel drive to moms across the snow belt, SUVs became a hot seller that still delivered five doors and a maximum of interior space.

In the mid-2000s amid high gas prices and reports of roll-over problems, smaller versions of SUVs, dubbed "crossovers" came out to replace what was now seen as big, hulking relics. Still, five doors and a squared-off rear passenger compartment, although with slightly less interior space and smaller engines as a concession to fuel economy.

People still have the same functional space requirements, but they don't want to drive something that looks like their parent's or grandparent's car. So the treadmill keeps running...

• Tim10 months agoReport

thank you this is a great answer

Who gives a ****? Cars are transportation tools and nothing more. Society has portrayed vehicles as a status symbol. Minivans are great for people who don't give a ****! I know guys that use them for construction, haul lumber and tools inside it with all the seats taken out. They're guys that are more worried about their job than the way they look on the highway. Who cares what Joe Schmo in the other lane thinks about you in your minivan? 

They are traditionally seen as "mom vans"..... 20 years ago the only men who would have driven a "mini" van were squares. But that's when the full size van was still king. I drive a Ford Transit Connect... which is a smaller 4 cylinder mini van. Not my preferred vehicle, I have it because of my business. If you're worried about your image, try to find a commercial version of a mini van that makes it more into a work truck.

Buy one-- and, a Harley. Ride the Harley when you don't need to transport kids, lumber, groceries, potting soil, etc.

Source(s): keep the neighbors confused--I ride a very loud FX and drive an old Tercel wagon that barely gets out of its own way. It's a BITCH, trying to transport an 8' length of shelving on the Harley..

You were limited on what you could get your hands onto quickly...that was affordable. There is no stigma attached to a minivan. Many construction tradesmen have vans as their work truck. Your trade is more like the guy who lays ceramic tile or paints. He needed an enclosed vehicle. Your vehicle can serve a double duty. On the long weekends you take the tools out and put in mountain bikes or a bed and go camping & fishing with it.; or transported the large family around to festivals or other events.

. A van is just a car with more useful cargo area behind the drivers seat that is kept dry and out of the elements. I use a van to camp in, to carry my off road motorcycle in or other stuff.

I HAVE A LIFE of adventure, not stuck behind a desk every day, or have to stick to the roads. Not every road is a paved highway. Not to those remote fishing lakes with the really big fish, or for prospecting or exploring the backwoods.

It is a multi-function vehicle. like a Swiss Army Knife is a multi-use knife.

What stigma? Never heard that before.

It;s because until recently, most people carriers,mini vans ect, were dull, boring, bland, powerless unimaginitve peices of junk, designed mainly for transporting lots of children ect around. Most people who like cars would look at them as people who've given up on life if they are happy to drive around i n a brown piece of turd. Recently though, they have been getting more sporty and more luxurious to the point that some people who used to take the pi$$ are now jealous. Personally I'll keep my hot hatch.

• Edna

My niece bought a brand-new car & she signed over her old mini van to her 20-yr.-old son. Seeing as how he didn't have a vehicle at all, he was proud & happy to get it - especially since it was basically "free".

You can always prove everybody wrong.

There's no reason not to own one, they are viewed as family car but they are practical.

Mini vans are very practical vehicles for a lot of good reasons. You can carry a lot of people. You can carry a lot of stuff with the seats removed. You can camp in it. ETC etc. No one NEEDS a fast car.