Anonymous

Rude people calling me in for interviews? Is this the new way?

Hi, so I am a 37 year old professional that's just moved from the UK to Chicago have applied to a bunch of jobs, and the ones who have contacted me are so rude, or can barely speak English, or speak over me? Is this the norm?

It could be they're just testing you to see how you'll react but, more realistically, they're probably just someone who hates their job. Be careful when applying to 'a bunch of jobs' though. There are a lot of employment scams out there.

Welcome to America, we all sound different here.

For what sorts of jobs are you applying? Why move without a job lined up (just wondering)?

• Kyle

i've lived in Chicago for over 20 years. the better part of 2018 i was interviewing for new jobs and work. while some may have had an accent and not speak English clearly, i was still able to understand them. but none of them were rude or speaking over me.

if you're applying to reputable companies and using sites like glassdoor or even indeed, then that shouldn't be a problem.

• CiCi

Yes, welcome to America