Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 10 months ago

How would a person practicing Aristotelian virtue ethics view a situation where parents chose to take their child out of chemotherapy?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If the withdrawn child, per reasonably frequent medical check-ups, either goes into remission or is making equal progress to what she was making under chemotherapy, fine, honor and accede to the parents' authority and insight. Otherwise, the more efficacious course is--somewhat sadly--chemotherapy, and the so-called "interests of the State" in "pro-life" or "protecting citizen's life" trump the less-efficacious or even harmful regime--as judged by the atom-based medical arts--of the child's adults' authority and belief system(s), if any. A third way, not noted in your hypothetical, is the right to try option recently signed into law: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/... (A genuine contribution of the Trump administration.)

• demitiafrori10 months agoReport

Thank you, this helped me understand a bit better!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

A student practicing any form of ethics would answer their own homework question. Fail.

• demitiafrori10 months agoReport

I mean, I'm doing research to try and understand the theory better by applying it to recent news, but go off.

• 10 months ago

I wouldn't.

One should weigh the risks, be rational, come to an agreement and make a mutual decision.

Virtue ethics by itself isn't useful here. The greatest consequence of value that can come from a decision here, may be considered as something that makes the people unhappy or happy, and in this Aristotle might have something to add. But when you are making life and death decisions it is imperative to consul doctors, not philosophers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.