Why do all the good stretches of land always get turned into manmade areas or become marked as private property?

I basically find it depressing when beautiful stretches of land you could once just freely roam through without any restrictions or barriers either undergo construction to make the way for houses or anything manmade, or become marked as private property or something like that. It just makes me think what kind of... show more I basically find it depressing when beautiful stretches of land you could once just freely roam through without any restrictions or barriers either undergo construction to make the way for houses or anything manmade, or become marked as private property or something like that. It just makes me think what kind of person has to be so miserable to want to destroy the romanticism of being out in nature completely free and happy or even one with the earth itself; I know I sound like a complete hippie right now, but I really do think there are enough places to build new houses or whatever the heck else on. There is a beautiful field near where I live and unfortunately it's too late to take my boyfriend there for a romantic dance under the moonlight together as it is currently undergoing construction.