Infinity asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 11 months ago

Why did Martin Luther speak in the most general way possible?

Why did Martin Luther avoid the particular? If Rome was really as bad as he claimed, shouldn't he have been able to come up with specific examples?

Was the influx of gold from the new world the real reason Martin Luther was discontent? Was it nothing more than envy?

Luther's Teachings Soon Luther went beyond criticizing indulgences. He wanted full reform of the Church. His teachings rested on three main ideas: People could win salvation only by faith in God's gift of forgiveness.

Isaiah 63:3-6 “I have trodden the winepress alone, And from the peoples no one was with Me.

For I have trodden them in My anger, And trampled them in My fury; Their blood is sprinkled upon My garments, And I have stained all My robes. For the day of vengeance is in My heart, And the year of My redeemed has come. I looked, but there was no one to help, And I wondered That there was no one to uphold; Therefore My own arm brought salvation for Me; And My own fury, it sustained Me. I have trodden down the peoples in My anger, Made them drunk in My fury,

And brought down their strength to the earth.”

Revelation 19:21 And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.

Martin Luther was not in it for money and spent a great deal of effort to be accurate. He gave 95 reasons why others should leave the Catholic Church, none of which were for money. Tetzel tried to sell indulgences for money, and Martin Luther was completely against this, so it had nothing to do with money or gold. Martin Luther's whole teaching was that heaven was free through Jesus Christ's death and resurrection, a fundamental teaching that the Catholic Church was neglecting. As for being specific, Martin Luther had a debate over the teachings of the Lord's Supper with Zwingli; he carved the Latin word est (is) into the table at which they were debating. Also I should point out that Luther's first idea was not to seperate from the Catholic church but to simply REFORM it to the Bible truths that the Catholic Church has strayed from. Man can only find hope through salvation in Christ Jesus alone, freed by grace, through faith.

• Das

Fear of the King 🤴.

it was a speech...an embellished speech...it had a goal to rile people up and that was it...

Martin Luther objected to the selling of indulgences by the Roman church.

Luther was exceeding specific, and if you can not read his original letters, why not? All his correspondence with Rome are well kept. He did give us 95 grievances on October 31, 1517 A.D., did he not, they were specific. He never minced words, even at court with the emperor, and the Pope; he told it like it was. Luther was the bright light standing in the darkness of the RCC, and restored it.( Council of Trent )

Yes, exactly right.

• David

Study his 95th thesis he pinned that to the door of the church at Whitenbiurg and turned to face the people and said this is what I have against the church.He was against the teaching and carrying out of novenas. Where family members could give a sum of money to the church and they would pray a soul into heaven.Also He said the just shall live by Faith and not the dictates of the catholic church. So it was these gross errant doctrines he preached against.Yet even he was still caught in her web as he was antisemitic. JESUS BLESS YOU

Gold? Luther fell out with the Church of Rome (Roman Catholic church), because he did not support the 'indulgences' as practiced by the church at that time. (That's the system of buying yourself off time to be spent in hell for your sins).