What's the problem with having a border between Northern Ireland and Ireland? Perhaps now NI will leave the UK and rejoin Ireland?

Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU, but the whole of Ireland doesn’t want to lose the special relationship they have with the UK.

None of this was discussed during the 2016 referendum.

Hopefully, the UK will come to its senses and revoke Article 50.

Perhaps you have never heard of the troubles, when NI and ROI hated eachother (and still do some of them) due to the south being mostly catholic and north being mostly protestant. There was a huge amount of trouble between the protestants and catholics. They want to be seperate.

• They are either UK, and hence the border, or they are Irish and no border. The protestants of NI would be much better treated by Ireland than the Catholics are now in N.I. Either join Ireland and get no border, or remain UK and deal with the border, and kwitchabitchin'.

As part of the good friday agreement there was supposed to be a friction less custom less border

• But this would not be a border between the UK and Ireland, it would technically be a border between the UK and the EU. Different way of thinking about it.

The Troubles legacy and raise sectarian violence hard border go against the Good Friday Agreement.

• Orla C

While I would love to see the north and south reunited, I don't think we are ready for this yet. I certainly don't think many citizens of the north are ready for it yet, and would need a lot of help adjusting.

• Lôn

Then you'd have to have a border in the Irish sea....

• Lôn

I don't mind it either.... you have to stop the Romanian pickpockets somehow.

Your question is vague there is already a border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, I hope your not suggesting Ireland join Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland leaving the UK again are you suggesting England and Northern Ireland join Ireland thats news.

• rustbucket

How about something backstop drastic, improving on the EU idea of border control between continental European countries and unite Ireland.

• gerald

none for you its great isn't it I think the Banks are all crooks and in 2008 should have gone bankrupt those involved Jailed there was no fu**ing referendum then was there ? lets ask the people as you do when in trouble