Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

I live in Los Angeles and some days I get called Miss all day and other days I get called "ma'am all day?

I don't understand just because some days I might look cuter or younger than other days I'm a Miss than when I look older (make up, hair , less sleep, eye swell) I am a ma'am? and so many people will say it has nothing to do with age or marital statues. But I am not the only female to cringe by the word ma'am. Many feel you are saying "old hag" in a nicer way. I never look like a old lady but you get my point. And I put it to the test, if I start calling them ma'am or sir back multiple times and their face falls or they look mad, than I know they are being insulting or assuming I am older or married but if they don't show that they are bothered by being called ma'am or sir than I let it go. But also what is strange they will use the word after every other word like "I'm sorry Ma'am" , what did you want on your sandwhich "ma'am, " was that to eat in or go "ma'am. "maiam" is there anything else for you "maiam" come on I feel like belting their face. and then some times with the Miss they may say it multiple times but for some odd reason does not seem like a intentional thing like with the ma'am. Why do they continue to use it when they know unless they live under a rock most females don't like it. I don't look matronly or like a grand ma or like a mature sophisticated old woman.

or if you have a couple small lines on your forehead you have to now run to the botox doctor not to be ma'amed to death

or you like the light blonde look but the illusion makes it look close to white or grey when it's light blonde so you go back to the warmer blondes not to be ma'amed so much

I know some people call everyone ma'am but I am talking about those who think they can play god and decide who is ma'am and who is Miss when you're not elderly.

• GFH
    Favorite Answer

Being addressed as "ma'am" is the correct way that a female is addressed

Both 'Miss' and 'Ma'am' are polite ways to address any woman whose name you don't know. In many businesses the staff are instructed to use 'Ma'am' all the time, including each time they ask you a question.

There's no need to get into a state about it. More worryingly, why are you so sure they all want to insult you? That says quite a lot about your own attitudes ...

• Jon

Los Angeles is very large and very diverse city. So of course there are going to a lot people whose upbringing and habits are different from yours. You'll just have to get used to it.

good grief you are reading way too much into this. and clearly live in a city that puts way too much emphasis on the superficial. i get called ma'am or miss depending on the person, who cares, better than a blank stare and rudeness.

• Joe

It doesn't matter that you do not look like an old woman to strangers who addressed you as "ma'am," because those strangers are being polite in addressing you as "ma'am."

• g

Ma'am is used as a term of respect when you don't know someone's name, same as sir for the gentlemen. Only petty people use it as some sort of insult.

You live in Los Angeles. What's wrong with you, hoe? You should be glad they aren't calling you "bit©h".

thats just cause everyone is different, i wouldnt have worried about it, they couldve called you worse stuff