Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

Does this customer deserve a discount?

I had a customer come in with his grandfather. They were eating and they discovered a piece of plastic in their mash potatoes. I offered to replace the mash potatoes but the guy just removed the piece of plastic and said it’s ok and continued eating them. When I brought the ticket to his table, he looked at me angrily when he saw I didn’t offer some type of discount. He said “you need to give me at least 10 percent off for the plastic in my mash potatoes”. I told him he kept eating them so why should he get a discount? He said he was being nice to us and he didn’t want to wait for the new mash potatoes.

We ended up giving him 10 percent. But did he deserve it? Your thoughts?

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

Most restaurants would have offered him the entire meal without charge.

10% is getting off lightly!

• GEEGEE

Yes, and more than 10%. Doesn't much matter since it's unlikely they will be back.

Given that you offered to replace it and he declined, the potatoes are his problem, at that point. Perhaps offering him a free drink or desert would suffice but the customer shouldn’t choose their reward for accepting inadequate service

• J.S.

Yes, the customer should have received the meal free of charge or at least offered a discount of 50-percent because of the piece of plastic.

You should not have allowed him to go on eating the mashed potatoes after plastic was found in it. Suppose he had choked on a piece that he hadn't noticed at first? You should have taken the plate back to the kitchen and told the manager and the chef, and they should have thrown out the mashed potatoes in the kitchen and cooked some more.

And of course you would have offered the man another dish free.

• Toby10 months agoReport

Hey! he got a valuable piece of plastic for free, some people are never satisfied! Sounds like you would moan if you got something free with your food! LOL

• Daisy

A 10% discount isn't a bad solution for the problem. He could have asked for that when you offered to replace the mashed potatoes in the first place. I'm amazed at people who want it both ways- they want a free meal or a discount or both. Your manager could also help in matters like this, too. If this customer had plastic in his food, other people may find in theirs, too. This gives the manager a 'heads up' on a potentially difficult situation.

i think he deserved more than that since there was plastic in it

• .

I would've informed the manager and let them handle it.

• Liz

Yes, he deserved a discount and a replacement meal. It's what I'd expect if it happened to me.

• David

You got off very lightly because he could have reported you which might have resulted in your place getting closed.