Does this customer deserve a discount?

I had a customer come in with his grandfather. They were eating and they discovered a piece of plastic in their mash potatoes. I offered to replace the mash potatoes but the guy just removed the piece of plastic and said it’s ok and continued eating them. When I brought the ticket to his table, he looked at me... show more I had a customer come in with his grandfather. They were eating and they discovered a piece of plastic in their mash potatoes. I offered to replace the mash potatoes but the guy just removed the piece of plastic and said it’s ok and continued eating them. When I brought the ticket to his table, he looked at me angrily when he saw I didn’t offer some type of discount. He said “you need to give me at least 10 percent off for the plastic in my mash potatoes”. I told him he kept eating them so why should he get a discount? He said he was being nice to us and he didn’t want to wait for the new mash potatoes.

We ended up giving him 10 percent. But did he deserve it? Your thoughts?