Clay asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

worried about my cat, I know why he meows at night but nothing we do seems to stop him. What to do?

My cat as of late has been seriously annoying my mother in the middle of the night, so much so that she is really starting to lose her temper since nothing e do seems to keep him quiet when she is trying to sleep. My mother was so mad not more than an hour ago that it appears to have scared my cat into silence which has me afraid my mom may either put him up for adoption or even worse harm the cat out of sheer desperation. Someone please tell me what I can do, I am out of options and I dont want to lose him.

It's your mom's house so you have no say in the matter.

Well sounds like you have an all the time angry cobtrol freak who never fixed her own problems so lets everything fuse her fire. Tell her to get nlise cancelling headphones and to quit being a ***** or she might end up on pills

Put him in the room farthest away from her at night — with water and a cat bed, of course. Buy a white noise machine, put it outside the cat’s room, and turn it all the way up. If that’s not enough, put another white noise machine outside your mother’s room.

1: Yes he is neutered.

2: He eats regularly as he's supposed to.

3: He usually sleeps with me or in my closet.

4: We cant really let him outside as we live int he city, I fear he might get killed by traffic or even be attacked by strays as there are a number of them around. We do take him on walks, but we typically avoid so when we are trying to sleep on principle and he has only recently become this unwilling to quiet down.

5: I play with him regularly.

6: We are almost never away from the apartment, I only work weekends and mom is retired.

• Sam

you say you know why he is meowing. if you share that info with me, maybe I can help you.

• audrey

If he's not neutered, get that done. Keep him in your room with the door shut. Away from mom. Cats are nocturnal.

• PR

You don't really say much, other than the cat meows at night. Consider the following:

-Is the cat neutered? If not, he may be meowing to get outside for mating purposes. Get him neutered. It can take a couple weeks following neutering for the hormones to be out of the system.

-Is he hungry? Cats need to eat two times per day. Make a mix of 1 cup dry food/2 tablespoons canned/1 cup water. Give him a hearty helping just before bed and see if that helps.

-Who feeds the cat? If Mom feeds the cat, you should begin to feed him. That way, he will want to be with you instead of her. Feed him both morning and night.

-Where does he sleep? Allow him into your room if he is lonesome so he can sleep in there.

-Play with him toward evening so he is more worn out.

-Some cats like to be outside. If he is not afraid, allow him outside ONLY DURING THE DAYTIME. This may help if he is just bored. But, if a cat is outside at night, it can get seriously harmed or even attacked by nocturnal animals.

-Is the cat alone during the daytime? He may be bored and wants more attention. If that is not possible, would getting a second cat for a friend help him? Of course, introduce them SLOWLY, as in one cat kept in the bathroom for at least two weeks.

He may just want to sleep in the same room as you.