Free speech allows opinions to be legally aired but are subject to pressure based on truth+ethics. Are one’s tastes less subject to pressure?

Ah, free speech is NOT subject to truth nor ethics. Not in the USA.

Personal tastes are more so, in my opinion.

Truth is not subject to ethics. If free speech involves truth then it's perfectly ethical.

A falsehood is subject to ethics and consequently to the law.

Free speech legally strictly is defined as speech that is divulged with the intent of enlightening with the truth.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by, "subject to pressure", and I'm not sure whether it is free speech, or one's opinions that would be subject to pressure. The legality of free speech can be challenged on the basis of (among other things) its factual accuracy and ethical considerations; that's for the law to decide. One's opinions are not determined by the law; they are chosen by the individual that holds them. One may challenge the factual accuracy, and basis, of another's opinion, but I don't think ethics are of much use in changing a person's opinion. Ethics are more for modifying behavior than they are for modifying opinions.

There are a lot of opinions on a lot of different things. Tastes are just one narrowly defined set of opinions; they are a person's preferences. I don't think that they're subject to pressure of any sort.

No. Your tastes and beliefs have been patterned and subjected to external ''pressure'' continually since your birth whether you are aware of it or not.

• Free speech is subject to threats of social exclusion for saying the wrong thing. It is depends on the circle of people you are with. There are many circles which will exclude you if you say the wrong thing in their eyes. I feel this limits speech in a way that makes an open discussion of the issues too risky.

Free speech cannot exist without affordance that each member can hold a view and communicate that view. If you have to guard your tongue and suppress your view then it cannot be said that free speech exists. And it is impossible to affect each other in a healthy manner unless we can be free & open.

While we may set out to protect certain people from negative speech, there should equally be a protection of those who’s view is less than universally positive. Because I think open discussion & ability to affect each other in a healthy manner is important. I do not believe in sweeping people under the rug so to speak just to make society seem pristine.

I believe in a foundation.

• P

Unfortunately free speech does not allow opinions to be legally aired any more. Free speech is limited by legislation and power

Free speech as far as this site is concerned

is entirely and exclusively at the discretion of the publisher.