Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Is food ok to eat one day after the use by date?

It is a meat pie the meat being pre-cooked. Will it be fine to eat if it stays refrigerated?

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Of course it is. Why do you think it suddenly become unfit to eat on one particular day? It doesn't. The date is only a guideline, so use your senses - does it smell "off"? How else did we manage before packaging?

The date is always set too early anyway to protect the store. It's not there to protect YOU. So I regularly eat food after the date printed, and I'm OK. And you're safer still if it needs cooking.

It should be fine. Companies usually put the use by date earlier than the food would go bad because of legal reasons.

I typically won’t ever eat anything after the use by date. Especially meats, I try to use those right away.

• Mark

Oh, it's usually fine, even milk if it isn't kept in the door (it get sour REALLY quick there, as every time you open the refrigerator, it is more of less OUT of the refrigerator.)

In general use-by dates are kind of arbitrary or signify when the food is best-tasting, but it won't POISON you or anything.

I do it all the time. It is fine.

Eat it, it will be fine .

Yes, especially since it’s precooked. There’s an over abundance of foods that are still edible, yet discarded after the expiration date, yogurt for example. It’s a shame.

Smell it.

If it smells foul or mold is visible, it's spoiled.

Otherwise, foods don't always spoil by the use date. Or they can spoil several days before. Like milk and other dairy products.

• BJJ

Yes , just make sure it's properly heated or cooked

no it is not good