Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Is food ok to eat one day after the use by date?

It is a meat pie the meat being pre-cooked. Will it be fine to eat if it stays refrigerated?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course it is. Why do you think it suddenly become unfit to eat on one particular day? It doesn't. The date is only a guideline, so use your senses - does it smell "off"? How else did we manage before packaging?

The date is always set too early anyway to protect the store. It's not there to protect YOU. So I regularly eat food after the date printed, and I'm OK. And you're safer still if it needs cooking.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

It should be fine. Companies usually put the use by date earlier than the food would go bad because of legal reasons.

• 6 months ago

I typically won’t ever eat anything after the use by date. Especially meats, I try to use those right away.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Oh, it's usually fine, even milk if it isn't kept in the door (it get sour REALLY quick there, as every time you open the refrigerator, it is more of less OUT of the refrigerator.)

In general use-by dates are kind of arbitrary or signify when the food is best-tasting, but it won't POISON you or anything.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I do it all the time. It is fine.

• 6 months ago

Eat it, it will be fine .

• 6 months ago

Yes, especially since it’s precooked. There’s an over abundance of foods that are still edible, yet discarded after the expiration date, yogurt for example. It’s a shame.

• 6 months ago

Smell it.

If it smells foul or mold is visible, it's spoiled.

Otherwise, foods don't always spoil by the use date. Or they can spoil several days before. Like milk and other dairy products.

• BJJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes , just make sure it's properly heated or cooked

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

no it is not good

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.