Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 months ago

Are there any you Caucasian/ white women that try to teach your children Spanish?

I like to have my child to become more diverse and learn about another language if that is ok to do as a parent.

It amazes me how people think that all people who speak Spanish are "Brown "... How much ignorance ! There are lots of fully white and fully black people who speak Spanish as native language..

Do all people who speak English or French as native language share the same race? I guess most people would obviously say "no".. Then why would it be any different when it comes to Spanish speakers ?

Any person of any colour who is a native Spanish speaker should speak Spanish to their children.

• Zirp

you-->young??

There's no such thing as caucasian, but I know a white dutch woman who raises her child in Spanish (I'm not sure why) and a blackskinned one from Congo who raises her child in French (because she's fluent in French and Lingala isn't used much in the Netherlands)

The color of a person's skin is entirely irrelevant to the languages they speak or learn. It is very important for children to learn languages from native speakers, so you are not the ideal teacher of English or Spanish to your child. Try to find a native Spanish-speaking class, day care situation, or nanny for him and let him watch authentic Spanish-language programming on television. Nothing like "Dora the Explorer," for instance.

• John P

You too seem to be outside the general inheritance of an English-speaking family. There are many schools in English-speaking countries which teach all sorts of languages. In Britain the emphasis used to be on French, then German. Nowadays many schools start with Spanish, as does my local primary school where I live in southern England.

Do by all means start your children into study of other languages, but make sure also that they learn English from good native speakers!

There are lots. Most USA middle schools offer Spanish, and it is just as popular as the French and German courses. If you live in the USA, it would be wise to be sure your children learn Spanish, since that is spoken by the majority of people in your hemisphere. It would give them a career advantage in retail, health care, law enforcement, trades, government, customer service, tourism, education, politics, and in religion. Being bilingual is a smart move for the future.

We brought our children up speaking German and Spanish as well as English, and Spanish had more traction because there were more Spanish speakers of our acquaintance than German, and because we visited Spain. It's generally a good idea, yes.

• mokrie

Much prefer French.

Hundreds of millions of "white" people have Spanish as a first language and millions more in the USA have it as a second language. Spain alone has 47 million people who speak Spanish and as Spain is a European country, its people are classified as "white" by the US Government. Few Caucasians would speak Spanish. The language is not much use in the Caucasus, the area between the Black and Caspian seas.