Molly asked in PetsCats · 9 months ago

My cat has been sleeping/relaxing outside in the same spot for months?

I have an older cat, pretty old, but still doing great health wise as I know of and for a while now (1-2 months) he has been sleeping and relaxing in front of our house in the grass but kinda close to the road, about 30ft away from the house and he’s an outside cat it’s just he has a spot and he’s always there. My theory is either protecting us or that he just likes the attention from the neighborhood since it’s next to the sidewalk or what but I’m just curious if other cats have weird ‘spots’

Cats do have odd sleeping spots, or at least spots that seem odd to us but are obvious to them. Doubtless he considers the front of your house as part of his territory and he likes being in it, so to speak, where he knows he's at home and can defend his patch from other cats. Quite possibly he appreciates the attention from passers-by too.

At one time one of our very elderly cats had a particular spot on the driveway, no different from any other that we could see, but it had to be this spot. If this spot was obstructed, maybe I'd briefly left the mower there, she'd pointedly sit beside it until I removed the obstruction, then she'd totter over, carefully inspect it and settle down for a snooze.

• PR

Our cat has always sat under the back end of our car that is parked in the driveway. He waits for neighbors to go by, and comes out for his favorites for petting. Maybe your cat is doing this, too. And, yes, we often need to check under the car before backing out of the driveway, although he usually does this in the evening when everyone is inside for the day. He is an oldie at 17 y/o.

I would watch him and see what is going on. Also, monitor his eating habits and his weight. Bring kitty inside at night. No cat should be outside at night, because it is not safe. If the cat is not active, at all, a vet check might be in order.

Yes, cats DO have perches where they sleep. Some times they change to new perch, neither because of dominance fights or their human *destroyed" their nest. One of my young cats was sleeping on my caps. I wanted a particular color of cap and destroyed her nest. She'll probably make a new one.

Your cat is protecting their territory and your pride. You only think you are the alpha member of the pride. The cat knows he is. You are a well tried human

One if my cats is/0robly 11 years ols . The other 2 are over a year old, but may not be quite fully grown. The older cat does not hesitate to slap the male cat across the muzzle if he gets too close or have fisti cuffs with the female. Everyone is neutered, but dominance fights are normal.