can you call yourself a Christian and not read the Bible?

73 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I mean if they read the whole thing and know it , why would they go back and re read it ? It’s not like it changed lol

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Sure you can. I can call myself a doctor without going to medical school.😂

Update: If you read the Bible you will no longer believe in all the religious nonsense. Most of it conflicts with religious peoples nonsense. Reading the Bible made me distrust religion but strengthened my belief on God. Had to throw that in so not to be mistaken for a psychotic Atheist.

• 6 months ago

Yes if you pray to God and flee from sinning then you are a Christian

• ...Show all comments
    • aha5 months agoReport

The person would know the almighty God thats the point of praying for God to shoe him the understanding of who God truely is

• 6 months ago

Many people think it is necessary to have a religion, or claim to. Most so-called Christians only claim to be Christians.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Many converts to Christ had never even seen a Bible prior to their conversion. In many countries in the world, the Bible is banned and if you are found with one, you can end up in prison, and if you try to convert anyone to Christ, you can even get the death penalty. You can be sure there are hundreds of thousands of Christians today who cannot read the Bible. But the Holy Spirit causes their conversion to Christ and leads them into the truth of Christ.

Usually they get to see the Bible at some stage or other, especially in this digital age where governments cannot stop all sites where the Bible is in digital format. The Internet is now taking the place of the printed page where that has become a near impossibility. Yet that still leaves blind people, and those who cannot read, and those who belong to tiny tribes where the Bible has not been translated into their language. Bible Societies are working hard in those areas to meet the need.

The Bible is the written word of God and is incredibly important for learning the gospel and helping people come to faith in Christ and to live Christian lives, plus for the governing of groups of Christians locally. The point is that if you claim to be a Christian but have virtually no interest in reading the Bible for yourself, you should be ashamed of yourself. And you probably have no idea what it means to be a Christian, and to live for Christ, not self. It would be highly unlikely that you would be showing the fruit of the Holy Spirit, or that you could clearly be seen to be different to non-Christian people around you. But the Lord knows those who are His - 2 Timothy 2:19.

• antonius
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Are you sure that you have not been drinking more than water today? LMAO!

• 6 months ago

You seem unaware of the fact that, for the first 400 years of Christianity, there was no Bible. And during the centuries when most people were illiterate and Bibles were prohibitively expensive, Christians learned by listening to the Bible readings and the sermons, and by seeing Bible stories portrayed in the stain glass windows.

And not all blind Christians have access to a Braille Bible.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
    • ...Show all comments
    • Mayflower
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The early Christians have their writings floating around; it comes in vellum. parchment, like jewish scroll.. The gathering, editing, compilation and publishing comes in about 400 AD, the Latin Vulgate, being the canonized and authorized version.

• 6 months ago

That's highly unlikely.

• Denise5 months agoReport

A christian follows Jesus example. Jesus often quoted from the scriptures Jihn 17:14

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

I have read the bible cover to cover and I am an atheist

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The Bible existed from before time, and the Bible was complete and compiled in 90 AD. So there has always been a Bible, and without the Bible, you're not a Christian..

• ...Show all comments
    • S
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

"antonius" is making things up out of thin air. The Bible wasn complete and complied in 96 AD. So he lies.

• 6 months ago

There wasn't a bible til about the year 400 so Peter, Paul, Matthew, Mark, never read a bible. The first Christians gathered around communion (was the most important) and preaching. They didn't have bible to bring with them on Sundays. Communion (receiving the Lord's Body and Blood) was what the Christian community considered the focal point.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The entire Bible was completed in 95 A.D., when the last book (Revelation) was written by the Apostle John.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.