beth asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Will animal control do something if someone hurts wildlife? (Squirrels)?

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor that shares a balcony with my neighbor (there’s a fence separating each side). There’s about 4 squirrels I feed peanuts to daily. Each time my neighbor’s home and sees the squirrels, he’ll come outside with his broom and scare them off while smacking the ground and banging the wall/fence. I’m afraid that he’s gonna hurt one of them or hit them with His broom (he’s killed babies before). If that happens can animal control do something? Like give him a warning of some sort?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. But you might want to talk to the neighbor. While you think its ok to feed the squirrels, many people consider them pests and don't want them around to chew wires, etc. If I were you, I'd stop feeding them and encouraging them to come around.

• 2 months ago

Maybe choose a better place to be feeding them, like downstairs out in the trees.

I treat the squirrels now and then, not like feeding them or they start t rely on humans for food, not the best way to go.

• 2 months ago

Squirrels aka flying rats. Unless a species is protected, there's nothing to be done and if you don't want him to be doing this, stop feeding them. WILD animals should be able to support themselves in..... the wild!! It's only in the harshest weather, that they might need a little help.

• 2 months ago

They may be cute but you wouldn't be so fond if they were chewing your house to bits. They do damage and your neighbour has every right to prevent you from attracting them. I once had an old lady next door and she would throw bread to the pigeons. Everyone, even those who just polished their car, was finding it covered in acidic droppings from these flying rats. Put people first not vermin. Think yourself lucky he hasn't taken it up with the law. There is plenty of food for them in the wild. Attracting them to us is also putting them in danger.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Depends

They usually won't do anythings when its WILD animal, thats fish and game or wild control.

Tree rats are pests and chew on wires and the like, its not illegal any where to scare them off or trap them and kill them or take them to a wild life center to be put down

• patty
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

you can ring them and see what they say

Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unlikely. Squirrels are normally considered nuisance animals and have minimal, if any, legal protections.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would call animal control and talk to them about it

• 2 months ago

Get a phone or camera out and make videos. That always seems to improve other people's behaviour.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

that IS their job, yes, but simply scaring them ISN'T harming them ......................

• beth2 months agoReport

Yes I’m aware of that lol. I’m not planning on doing anything unless he hurts one. That’s why I asked just to see my options if it comes down to that :/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.