Is getting a warranty on used car a good idea?

I’m looking to buy a used car , is getting a warranty a good idea in case it needs repairs? Or I should avoid doing this

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Yes, but it is not easy though.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

Take the money that you would spend on an extended warranty (with lots of exclusions) and put it in a bank account to use if you need repairs. If you never need repairs, guess who still has the money. Hint: NOT a warranty company.

• F
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

After market warranties are notorious for exclusions. It's just a type of insurance, if you need it you'll be glad you had it, but if nothig goes wrong , it's a lot of money you didn't need to pay. Personally, i think it's better to put money aside into a seperate account each month, to cover car repairs.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Yes, it's called a "sinking fund." A friend did this. Finished the payments on her Toyota, but kept paying her "car's" separate bank account that same amount. She quickly had funds for repairs and (later) for buying a newer car.

• 10 months ago

I think yes it is a good idea.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

no............................................................

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

it might be if you'll need it later on

• 10 months ago

Yes it is, in case something breaks. A warranty costs less than most major repairs.

• 10 months ago

Depending on the mileage, the car may come with certain warranties direct from the dealer. Anything outside of those is worth less than the paper they're printed on, as companies that sell warranties 2nd hand tend to be rather shady and difficult to deal with.

If the car is still under manufacturer warranty, then they may offer extensions for a small fee. Those are far more worth while.

Otherwise, simply have your mechanic give the vehicle a solid look over and make sure you check up on past reviews for the dealer, especially ones posted a few months following purchase where they're complaining about troubles getting the dealer to stick to their own warranty.

• 10 months ago

It depends on the used car and the cost of the warranty. My brother in law bought a used BMW for over $30,000. He spent $2,000 on the extended warranty. The first two problems would have cost him more than the warranty expense.

• arther
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

it generally covers nothing anyway pick a good car, don't worry about warranty on a used car over 5 years don't buy something that was no good when it was new.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.