promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rightman asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 months ago

Which of the Latin languages is the "entry language" to the others?

Catalan? It's geographically in the centre!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You don't need to waste your time studying the "entry language" (mother Latin), because it's extinct, aside from translating old writings.

If you have a linguistic bent, or are working on a degree in languages, by all means study Latin.

French or Spanish or Portuguese or Italian or Romanian, are the main descendants of Latin, and any one of these can be studied and used if you have the need.

I didn't formally study Latin, but I constantly refer to it and Greek in my daily practice of being a polyglot.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

I suggest Latin itself.

• John P
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Catalan is spoken in a small area of Spain. If you want to study any Spanish language, study normal Castilian Spanish as spoken and understood in almost all of Spain.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Do you mean which language to learn to learn the Romanic languages faster afterwards?

Esperanto works (wikipedia Propaedeutic_value_of_esperanto). Interlingua may work even better for Romanic languages

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Catalan is only geographically in the centre if you discount Romanian ...

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Italian is the language spoken in the area where Latin originated.

• ...Show all comments
    • RE
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Of course it's not Latin. However, it is the most direct descendant.

• 9 months ago

Define "entry language." I've taught foreign languages for years, and I've never heard of that.

• 9 months ago

Modern Italian is modern Latin. English is a Germanic language . Yes, it does borrow heavily from other languages, including Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, including the Catalan dialect of Spanish.

Languages and dialects are dynamic and interact with each other . Cajun French us NOT Parisian French. British English. When someone uses the word "torch" in a,sentence I think of a flambeau, whish is French word, not a flash light. I was born in and did a lot of growing up in greater New Orleans, which was owned by both the Spanish and the French. Cajuns ad Creoles are different, different cultures.

I learned far more about English grammar in Latin, French, and German classes than I ever did in English classes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.