Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 3 months ago

Wolf pack vs pact?

Yesterday my dog made friends and I sayed “she’s joined their pact” and my brother goes “its pack, not pact”. I tried to explain to him there is both - a wolf pack and a wolf pact. He said there wasnt a wolf pact and when I showed him on my phone a book titled “Wolf Pact” he said “oh well that’s wrong.” Lol I tried to explain to him the PACT between the wolves (or dogs in this instance) makes up the wolf PACK. But he still insists I meant pack. We asked my mom and she too never heard of a “wolf pact” and said I meant pack. Can someone explain this to them? Googling “wolf pact” was not enough for them

Of course the proper term is 'wolf pack' - a pack of wolves.

There may indeed be a book or series of books titled 'Wolf Pact', but that is a deliberate pun for the purposes of that specific book. Wolves do not have pacts, and you are being ridiculous in clinging to this ONE reference, that proves absolutely nothing against centuries of use of the standard collective word for wolves, 'pack'.

And now please move your question to 'Words and Wordplay'. It has no business being in Air Travel. I suspect Yahoo put it there because of the word 'pack' as in preparing for travel. The asker is responsible for checking that their question has been posted in a suitable category, and moving it if not.

• F

Unless they shook paws, it wasn't a PACT.

• John P

Indeed it is a "wolf pack" (not "pact"). The title of the book "Wolf Pact" has no connection with wolves, it is simply a play on words - two words which are very similar but which have totally different meanings. The English language has many such word pairings, with endless scope for jokes and misunderstandings.

Yes, it's just pack, not pact. And why is this in the travel category?

• Joseph

Wolf pack is correct. Just because some writer thought up the Wolf Pact as a title of a book does not make it correct. Oh, and by the way, it's said, not sayed.

• Mamianka

Correcting all the mis-spellings, bad punctuation and capitalization, and bad usage, is ANOTHER topic - the teacher in me had to let that go . . .

They are correct that it is PACK.

A Pact is an agreement or covenant.

And googling "wolf pact" yielded search results for a novel series by that title and nothing else.

• Mamianka

Down South "naked" message undressed. But "nekid" means undressed and up to something naughty. You knew that . . .dincha?

It's pack. A pact requires the understanding of both parties involved. In your case that would involve you reaching the same IQ as your dog, and I don't think that's possible.

What color were the pills you took or the strain of the pot you smoked?

Trippin out on a word. Have you ever tried to follow an ant?

Pact is an agreement. Dogs do not know what a pact is. Try explaining to a judge that you made a pact with your dog that he won’t bite people. When he does, are you going to sue your dog for breaking the pact.

I can’t believe you used a book title to justify your reasoning. Book titles sometimes use puns on words. Piers Anthony uses a lot of puns in his Xanth books: crewel lye for cruel lie, centaur aisle for center isle, roc and a hard place for rock and a hard place, faun and games for fun and games.

The book is about werewolves. Werewolves are half human, half wolf so they know what a pact is. Dogs do not know what a pact is. I haven’t read the book but I’m guessing it’s about a pact made among the werewolves.

• Mamianka

Let this go, kid. You have a phalanx of educated adults here who ALL AGREE that you are clueless - and incredibly stubborn.

I doubt it, since I'm with your brother. Animals that live and work in packs never draw up an agreement on how they will behave toward one another; it's mostly instinctive, with some teaching when they are young.

Only humans have pacts.

So while someone tried to make a clever pun title with "Wolf Pact," that may have worked in the context of the book, there is no pact between wolves or between wolves and other creatures. I suppose there could be pacts between humans about how wolves will be treated, and that could be called a wolf pact.

• Mamianka

Bertie is teasing you out - and you FELL FOR IT. Or - there are TWO of you this freaking dumb . . . There's you date for the prom, right there.