Answer asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Should i capture a wild bobcat and make it my pet?

There are bobcats around the area i live and they are cute. Should i capture one and make it my pet?

As an wildlife rehabber and species preservationist. It goes without saying that they make terrible pets. I have bred many pet animals. And the way we go about this is seeking for the most human orientated animals and breeding them. The next generation is then friendlier. This doesn’t happen with wild animals. What happens to human friendly wild life? They get shot or hit by a car or poisoned. This makes the population “stay wild” and instinctively distrust any humans. Even the kittens. And if you were to get a cat older than a few weeks it would never tame down. It would already be heavily imprinted to the wild and to its mother. Never taking a liking to you. Most likely attacking you. “Well what about getting a newly born kitten” if you’re down to feed it every 2 hours and deal with the clawing nipping phase. If you’re fine with it wanting to play and attacking you. If you’re fine with it attacking to kill from body language, smelling sick, tripping, etc. then sure.

That is an excellent idea. Here is how you should go about it:

1. Grab the kitten gently and throw it in a sack

2. Kittens get lonely. After the kitten is in the sack, stick your head inside of it so the kitten doesn’t get lonely and scared. He may gently paw your face and your eyes.

3. Bobcat kittens require Bobcat milk. You will need to locate the mother and milk her. As this can be a delicate operation, you should not wear gloves or any other type of protective clothing that could get in the way of gaining an adequate milk supply. The adult mother may not stand still while you were attempt this, but think of the kitten.

4. Finally, if a kitten cannot be located, adult bobcats are easily tamed and make loving gentle pets.

Ps. Obviously you shouldn’t attempt any of the above, and while this should be obvious and go without saying, considering you were even asking this question in the first place, I felt I better state this directly. Have a nice day.

• Sixion10 months agoReport

Lmfao I loved this

I captured a bobcat so my basset hound puppy could have a crate-mate. Unfortunately my basset hound puppy died from unknown causes the night I brought the bobcat home. :(

• Ocimom

No. Adult cats would not be tamable. Even kitten bobcats would have too much "wild" in them to be a safe pet. And you would need special permits and a secure fenced area for the cat to live in. Stick to domestic cats.

My formerly feral housecat can bring my 6'2" 260lb husband to his knees. I'd like to see what a bobcat could do.

• patty

I'd prefer a coyote myself

If you know how to handle a wild animal sure why not? just make sure if you don't have a license to not let your neighbors snoop on you and it should be lit. Send me a picture if you manage to not get your face ripped off I want to see this.

EDIT: Also I find it funny when people believe that doing something illegal automatically equals going to jail lol.

They are cute, but they don't make good pets; and it's illegal.

Try it. And tape it for our amusement.

You can try, but a bobcart would have already hunt you down.