Are there any downsides to connecting a gaming laptop to an external monitor?

So I have a Asus Zephyrus M (2018) pretty good specs and I ve been thinking about creating a little desktop-like set up for when I m at home working.

Are there any downsides to it or possibly bad effects to the laptop? Thanks in advance to whoever answers

Favorite Answer

Extended game play might tend to overheat parts of the laptop. The graphics chip has a conductor to the fan and grill. That should be clean. You might get an external fan stage under the gaming laptop to promote air flow into it. You can get an external USB fan box for $13 to extract hot air from the grill.

Source(s): My 2011 Lenovo G555 with the AMD Fusion chip overheated and the video detached from the motherboard, a common problem. After I replaced the motherboard, I have always used forced air cooling on that and other laptops and some of my iMacs.
    • Gel7 months agoReport

Thanks so much for this! I'll make sure to get one!

• P

People do it all the time. Just be mindful most gaming laptops will struggle supporting games at greater than 1080p. You need to make sure you use the external port that is currently accelerated by the dedicated graphics processor, which isn't always the HDMI port.

• Gel7 months agoReport

I will definitely take note of this. Thank you so much!

The frame-rate may be slower.

No, there are no downsides or bad effects on the laptop at all.

It might increase your electric bill by a tiny amount, but probably so small that you will never notice.

• Gel7 months agoReport

Oh okay, I see. Thank you so much good sir