Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

My mom is too obsessed with me and harassing me, Can I get a restraining order?

Hi, I am curious and trying to issue an restraining order on my parents, especially my mother, and I would like to listen from other people's view and advice.

My mom has always controlled me, been obsessive, strict, and even abusive. I'm 19 years old, and I live with my girlfriend in our own apartment together, but She always hated my girlfriend to spend time with me, take pictures with me, and do stuff with me because my mother was always jealous that she couldn't do those with me instead. My girlfriend is really sweet and smart, she is a straight A student in Nursing school and she tried her best to love my mother. However, My mom never lets me go and respects me. She always calls me her baby to people, she makes my dad to punch me and come into our apartment to check on me or to do something with her. I have had many bruises because they really punched me and abuse me emotionally by saying My brain is underdeveloped. She even started harassing my girlfriend. My girlfriend lost her father by accident a few months ago, and my mother said to her that she is faking her dad's death to get my attention. It really broke our hearts.

We both tried to resolve the relationship by asking her for respects, but she never listens and instead threatens us. My girlfriend can't sleep without a sleeping med at all. I've decided to stand up for happy life. Can I issue an restraining order over parents? Please give us some advice what we can do, Every day seems like a nightmare to us.

Favorite Answer

If your father punches you, inform the Police, especially if you have evidence (e.g. record a conversation in which he admits it, hospital records, witnesses). Or else warn your parents that you will inform the Police on him if they don't back down.

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc.

Bullies want attention, and my general feelings are that if people allow them to get their way through fear (the ultimate emotional reaction) they are succeeding and will continue. One way to combat verbal bullying is not to ignore them completely as this shows that they are getting to you, but demonstrate that you have heard the remark or whatever with a glance, dismissive wave or brief response ("oh yes", or similar) and THEN ignore them. Why should you care what such a pathetic person thinks of you? (Only weak and needy people feel a need to bully). Alternatively, or in addition, try to use some humour (U.K. spellings!). It need not be mocking humour, but some light-hearted banter can often diffuse situations.

Put on an imaginary suit of golden armour, and visualise the unkind remarks (or those you perceive to be unkind - be very careful not to imagine a slight when none is intended) as arrows, harmlessly bouncing off your armour and falling to the ground.

If the abuse is physical, you could join a martial arts or self defence class. Or even check out some moves on Youtube. Learn to defend yourself without retaliating.

Good Luck!

• .

If you really want to make a toxic relationship worse, then by all means, apply for a restraining order. Keep your distance from them, don't allow them into your apartment and don't answer phone calls.

• Rick

Both of your parents are abusing you and your mother needs psychological help. Call the police and explain what is happening and ask them what they suggest. Ask if you can get this restraining order against both of them.

you could try getting a restraining order

Sit down with your parents, and tell them that you will not accept any more cruel words nor physical assaults for either you or your girlfriend. And if they continue, then you will change the keys to your apartment, not answer their phone calls nor texts, etc. And if they still bother you, then do get a restraining order against them.

You can get a restraining order on anyone you think is harmful to you or is hurting you. if you can prove what you say is true and your in fear for your life you can get one.

but like i said you can get one on anyone if you want

it seems that your mother is mentally ill, and she may be afraid of losing her son, her child. also not to take her side but she knows your still very young and she may be in her own way trying to look out for you. so unless you truly feel that she is going to hurt you or your girlfriend i would try to remind her that your an adult and that unless she can respect you and your choices you may need to cut her out of your life.

your 19 legally your mother can not do anything to you, if she does call the cops.

if you would not let a stranger to those things to you then dont let your parents.

just do what alot of people do, move far away.

that way they cant visit you and the most they can do it annoy you on the phone, which you can hang up.

if either of my parents punched me (in a non-joking way) i would call the cops immediately and proceed to cut them out of my life for good.