promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 9 months ago

Is it hard to be self employed in New York?

I want to be self employed due to health problems that would get in the way or cause me suffering with a normal job. But I hear the taxes are pretty difficult? I wanted to sell things online. I already am a hobby artist that makes Bismuth crystals, jewelry, and artworks. And I breed geckos that I sell to the local pet shop for $100 each. They make about 10 eggs a month. Would setting up an online store be too difficult? Would health insurance be too expensive?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Being self employed is difficult. The key to taxes is understanding your obligations. Also, when you collect sales tax from your customer, it is not your money! You are collecting it on behalf of the Government so don't spend that money!

If you have no employees you don't necessarily need to buy business health insurance, that is a separate consideration for your own medical needs, but not relevant to your business.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You'll pay higher taxes, and health insurance is likely to be expensive. Finding enough customers to make a living from your online store could be very hard.

• 9 months ago

Taxes are taxes, you can look up the rates... Self employment is hard...as stated...anywhere.

If you can sell things online, why live in a place with higher taxes?

I'd ramp up the gecko breeding, sounds like there could be some money in that if you can make an actual business out of it.

• 9 months ago

It is hard to be self-employed anywhere..... period.

Peace.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.