Can I leave my cat alone for 24 hours?

I need to attend somewhere which requires an overnight stay. I'll be right back the next day. He's 9 years old, an outdoor cat, but I don't have a cat flap, so he'll be inside all of 24 hours. I will make certain food and water is available for him.

Update:

No, I have no friends or neighbours to drop by my way.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

He'll be fine. Make sure there's extra water, and of course a litter box. If he's like many cats, he might disappear if he thinks there's something unusual about to happen. Cats are notorious for suddenly not being where they always are, just when you really need them to be there. If you have to leave first thing in the morning, for example, I'd make sure the cat is inside the night before so you're not waiting for him to appear in the morning. That will be the day he decides not to appear.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

As long as he is litter box trained too, there should be no issue. Cat's are independent and he will be fine.

• 10 months ago

yes leave a clean litter box.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Yes - give him two bowls of food and two bowls of water and make sure he has a clean litter box to use.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Food, water AND a litter box. You cannot leave a cat indoors for 24 hours without a litter box.

24 hours should be fine.

• 10 months ago

As mentioned by others, it would be preferable if a friend or neighbour could stop by to check on your cat, but otherwise, as long as your cat is in good health and has access to food and plenty of water your cat should be fine for 24 hours.

- Certified vet nurse

• 10 months ago

Actually, he'll be fine. Maybe not amused, as his routine will be disturbed, but cats are remarkably adaptable and can cope with 24 hours alone easily. It'd be nice if you have a friend whom he knows and gets on with who can drop in for a while, taking care not to let him out, and just be there, talking to him and maybe petting him.

• patty
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

leave some lights on so he feels secure at night

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Animals get as frightened as a child would get being alone, trapped and not knowing if you'll ever come back. See if you can get a friend or neighbor to go in and pay some attention to the cat for a while and give it fresh food. No pet should be left alone that long.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Not ideal, but yes. Of course you can.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.