Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

a kid who is fine but just mute could they start out in a deaf school to make it easier with learning ASL before Going to a regular school?

They are mute just from problems with vocal cords. Nothing else is wrong with them. Would they be able to go to a deaf school to learn asl before going to a regular school

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I don't see the point in sending this kid to a deaf school. This kid can hear, right? Plus, not totally dissing ASL on this. But if this kid learns ASL before going to a regular school, it's pointless because no one will understand this kid.

Regular schools are required to have accommodations for disabled students and it doesn't always have to be ASL even though ASL is nice.

• 2 months ago

I don't see the point. They can hear, right? If they try to use ASL to communicate in a regular school, no one will understand them. Schools can make accommodations for students with physical difficulties- like letting a student write responses instead of speaking.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This would depend on the school system. I've seen them handle situations like this differently. Some insist on mainstreaming the child in regular classrooms. Parents can teach ASL early on too, as young a 5 months. We did "Baby signs" with all 3 of my kids plus it came in handy as we have a deaf family member. None of my kids are deaf but were using sign language before they could even speak a word. So there is no reason for a child to go to a deaf school just to learn sign language. A school for the deaf teaches a lot more than ASL and I don't even think they would accept a hearing child as they focus on hearing problems, not vocal. You need to speak to your local school system & child's doctor.

Source(s): my kids learned ASL as babies, family member is deaf
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i dont see why not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.