Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

Religious question?

I am an agnostic personally but a professor asked me to wonder why every human civilization even tribes deep in the amazon and papa new guinea that were only recently discovered have a belief in something or someone.

Would it be fair to say that a belief in an God or at least an afterlife is inherently human?

• Al

Somewhere locked in our memory is the knowledge of God and heaven and eternal life, I think humanity has it all backwards, If " A Course In Miracles " is correct, and I have good reason to believe it is, our human existence is a virtual experience that isn't real, but a waking dream in which we experience what feels to be a separation from God in order to experience contrast, but our salvation is returned to us through remembering our oneness with God, which we learn thru Christ....the reason there isn't a uniform approach to the belief in God has to do with the human mind which operates independent of your spirit, the Bible makes many references to The RIGHT mind, and the right represents that of spirit, the Left is a reference to the intellect which is the EGO.

Yes I think so. I believe that man created God as a comfort. Something like "I don't know what this means or how this works, so it must have been created or designed by a higher being than myself."

I believe the Creator put it in all of His creation because even the earth itself moans and groans awaiting the coming of God to renew all things. Scripture says, of God, "Be still, and know that I am God." Focus on nothing but the God of creation and He will make Himself known to you. This is hard to do for worldly people. The Bible says that God made everything good, but then man (Adam) disobeyed and invited sin into our world. It was Adam who was told not to eat of the tree, so when Eve ate and gave to Adam to eat, Adam should have refused it. Sin is nothing but disobeying God who is Spirit and consuming fire. The only way we know God is to know Jesus the Christ who is God in human flesh that came down and dwelt among His creation and discipled 12 men and then went to Calvary for our sins. The God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament and many men wrote of God who were filled with the Holy Spirit of God. Both Old and New Testament prophets or apostles have never, never been wrong.

Peter Gore Seer,

Aliens Have Created The Human Race, In These Answers, The Word Alien As Been Denied A Appearance Coverup.

This link addresses your question: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8510711/B...

Although Albert Einstein rejected the idea of a personal God and might be described as a pantheist, he complained, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." (from page 425 of Ronald W. Clark's 'Einstein: The Life and Times')

It's nice to see scientists being careful not to rule out the possibility for the existence of God. Especially scientists of the calibre of Albert Einstein. Theists do not just say that it's possible for God to exist, they would argue that there is evidence of the God of the Bible breaking through into human experience and making himself known. They believe their faith in God is warranted due to God's self-revelation. Evidence is not proof, but proof has to start with evidence.

However, we now get scientists making the claim that, given time, science will explain everything about how the universe came to be. Well, that is simply the atheist’s version of 'the God of the gaps'. They have put their faith in Science, instead of in God. They have invented the ‘future science of the gaps’ – same gaps, different deity. It’s what philosopher of science Karl Popper called ‘promissory materialism’. And what atheists no doubt consider to be their ‘fail safe' clause.

The fact of belief in some kind of superior Being (spirits or gods) being such a powerful force in every society, in every generation is an inconvenient fact atheists try to explain away. They are free so to do. Meanwhile, those of us who have experienced something of the love and grace of our Creator, in our own lives, continue to worship Him.

• Michael

natural desire is to live. The Bible shows that God created humans with the desire and the will to live. In fact, it says that “he has even put eternity in their heart.”​—Ecclesiastes 3:11.

Yes, God put that inner knowing there is a God and Creator in all of us. We are not born knowing Him, we are all born spiritually dead in trespasses and sins through Adam and only Christ can make us alive (Ephesians 2: 1 & 5) but that inner knowing stays with us all our lives because it is the light God puts into every human being.

It merely behoves us to seek after Him, because He says if we do this, He will be found by us. That's why heathens have the same inner knowing and therefore often leave food for this unknown God and often they call Him "The Great White Spirit" - they know He exists somewhere. That's why Christians have been given the Great Commission to preach the gospel to every creature and consequently missionaries have always gone out from places such as England to preach to the heathens because even on Mars Hill, Apostle Paul found folks who know of God but didn't know Him personally and therefore had erected some sort of memorial or statue to the "unknown" God, because again - everyone has that inner knowing that they have a Creator somewhere in the heavens.

• antonius

them. As for Oxford, they will try anything to support Christianity. Also what does a child know about a deity? Nothing at all. That survey is nonsense and making false claims about children. I do not accept not believe that story.

What you professor either does not understand or just didn't think about is, from ignorance comes superstition. Those Amazon and Papa New Guinea tribes referred to, have been know about for over 80 years.

If you look at the attached timeline the earliest (undisputed) ritual burials date to 130,000 years ago. Totems like bear claws would protect the deceased in the spirit realm after death.

I think the belief stems from humans taking natural disasters personally. I think that is why most man made religions include sacrifices to hopefully appease the magical Who to bring good fortune.

• bluebellbkk

That has seemed to me for a very long time to be the simplest and most obvious explanation.

I believe it would. As you include, all civilisations have had some kind of concept of a Creator. Sadly men (not even women!) have hijacked many (most?!) "religions" for purposes of greed for power and money.

• antonius

Yes, that is so true. But the horrible thing is that they teach that ignorance to the gullible and then charge them and provide nothing for the charge.