Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

Could this be an ebay scam?

I ordered an item coming from Michigan on eBay late Friday (10:30 pm roughly), by Saturday morning it said the item was shipped with tracking info through Britney Bowes but from what I know the post office isn’t even open that late on a Friday nor is it open through the weekend. The tracking info doesn’t provide me with a destination either.. I’m concerned it could be some sort of scam.. I know the post office still moves things along over the weekend but doesn’t accept any packages, could they give me a tracking number for something they mailed somewhere else earlier in the week and say it’s mine on ebay?

You get updates all the time, even if it's like 3 AM. I don't think it would be a scam unless this person is able to hack into sht. Also, i don't get a destination a lot of the time either.

Some post offices are open on Saturday.

I highly doubt they would give a tracking number (especially a real, working one) if they were going to scam you. The postal service is still working even if the post office is closed, and a shipping label can be printed at any time.

The one and only time I was nearly scammed on eBay was when someone kept making excuses not to ship for two weeks, ignored most of my attempts at contact and made excuses for that as well, and didn't ship until I finally filed a claim. I think if anyone is going to try to scam you, they won't even bother with providing a tracking number.

• Eva

Tracking numbers are issued when the postal label is printed from the site, not when the package is dropped off or picked up by the post office.

My Post Office is open till noon on Saturdays- full service.

• Tavy

The post office depots are open not the physical high street post offices.

These work 24/7 in most countries.

• ?

The post office might not be open at the weekend, but the postal service is still working. They transfer packages 24/7. And the tracking data doesnt update in real time, so it might have been ppsted at any time on friday. See what happens over the coming week

Well, I have been buying on E-bay a number of years and never once saw even an attempted scam.

What very few issues I did have were quickly resolved by the seller.

No,,tracking numbers don't show destination, only the shipping status between drop points. the closest it will get is your local post office indicating sent out for delivery.

You need to allow a good 10 days to get a package, more is you are in another country.

A month is typical shipping from China to US.

You should have got notification from e-bay your purchase has been shipped, usually first business day after sale.

• Maxi

You were given a tracking number, so log in and track it.... very unlikely it is a scam

99% NOT A SCAM.